Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie crankbait advice needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie crankbait advice needed

I am somewhat of a newbie, and I fish a body of water (Back Bay in Virginia ) that is fairly shallow, in the 6-8 foot range. I am looking for a crappie crank bait that doesn't dive too deeply. Do you fellow members have any favorites? Brands? Sizes? Colors? Thanks,

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bandit 100's and possibly their 200. The last time I fished there in late 70's it was so full of grass you couldn't pull a crank. Has it cleared up a lot? Think I might try long lining some light jigs in there.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Bandit 100's and possibly their 200. The last time I fished there in late 70's it was so full of grass you couldn't pull a crank. Has it cleared up a lot? Think I might try long lining some light jigs in there.
    Your a old geezer.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It might depend on how you're fishing them (casting, trolling, Pushing, etc) but ...

You might consider something like the Cordell/Pradco shallow crank or a Bandit "squarebill" crank .... both of which are gonna dive at less than 6ft deep (though, that might be a measurement used for casting ).

Then there's the "minnow baits/jerkbaits" ... like the Rapala or Rebel Minnow style baits.

Colors : if it's normally fairly clear water - shad, and muted colors (light pastels) ... if it's stained or brackish - chartreuse, reds, purples, even orange.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabin View Post
    Your a old geezer.
    Yes I am, but what a life I have lead
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G", cevans, broharrell LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Arkie 250 are smaller and shallower diving..... never used em but know a lot of folks push em instead of pull em

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy! I love it. Great name. Thanks for your advice and help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Erin! Not sure I know what "push em" means though............

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dooperman View Post
    Thanks Erin! Not sure I know what "push em" means though............
    "Pushing" is a trolling method where the rods are running out the front of the boat, heavy weights on the main line & cranks on a leader line (or tied directly to main line), and boat speeds are in the 1-2mph range. It's generally considered "Pulling" if rods are out the back of the boat (& heavy weights) .... and Long Line Trolling (Longlining) if no weights are added to the line. Pushing is different from Spider Rigging by the weights used, the use of cranks, and the greater speed.

Those are my general definitions, but others may have differing opinions. The lines of distinction between the methods are somewhat flexible.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have been using a lot of ULC3 and ULS4 rapalas the last two summers, the 4s dive 4-6 feet the 3s will deep to 10-11 with 6lb Berkley fireline crystal. In shallower water we'll run the 3s with the rod tips high in the rod holders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast