Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: insulating a live well ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default insulating a live well ?

Anybody know of a effective way to insulate a non insulated live well ? basically just like to turn it into a cooler to hold ice blocks and cubed ice for fish to stay cool. Its a Wareagle boat with live well attached to the console

Post Thanks / Like

My method isn't the easiest, but it works well and will last. I use blue board house insulation (or any styrofoam) from the local home improvement store and cover it with fiberglass epoxy. Just pull off the plastic sheet from the board and cut it to fit each inside wall, bottom and top of the well. You can cut it and install it so that the sides hold each other up and bottom piece holds the sides in place. If your foam doesn't fit together tightly, you can use some spray can foam (Great Stuff or equivalent) to fill the voids. Then just paint the foam with epoxy. You can use polyester resin. It's cheaper, but in my opinion, not the quality of epoxy. Polyester resin also has to be painted before it will cure. Both epoxy and polyester resin need to be painted if they will be in the sun. I'd do five coats of epoxy and it'll be good to go.
    Here's a pic (I tried to load a video, but it won't work for some reason) of a bait tank I built about 20 years ago. It holds about 40 gallons and is made out of blue board, fiberglass tape and epoxy. I've been using it the whole time and it hasn't leaked a drop yet.
    Name:  IMG_1187.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  31.6 KB