Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig head sizing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig head sizing?

So I read the below article and it really got me to thinking about jig head sizing! I致e typically just used 1/16th oz for tight lining. What do y誕ll prefer and why?

Big Baits for Big Crappie - In-Fisherman
    Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 for most, 1/8 in wind, 1/32 for shooting docks. I have some 1/4, but never used them.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good article. I知 very new to pulling jigs but so far my setup has been 1/8oz jig heads with 2.5 inch baits on my outside and middle poles, and 1/16oz jig heads with 2 inch baits on my inside poles. Has worked great for me so far, but I知 still very very new at this and I知 sure I値l learn more as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like In-Fisherman, but next month they'll have an article about how "micro" jigs are crucial.
    Likes Jman5626, Techno2000, callmecamo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on a couple factors for me. The speed to which I am moving (whether casting, pulling, or pushing jigs), the wind, and the depth I want to run the bait at.

A 1/16th oz jig pulled today with no wind at .3mph might not get down as deep tomorrow when the wind is blowing 7mph.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes SlabSeeker0485 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    Very good article. I知 very new to pulling jigs but so far my setup has been 1/8oz jig heads with 2.5 inch baits on my outside and middle poles, and 1/16oz jig heads with 2 inch baits on my inside poles. Has worked great for me so far, but I知 still very very new at this and I知 sure I値l learn more as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Yea this is my first year of realllllly trying to get after the crappie so I知 constantly learning. It makes some sense tho. Bigger baits for bigger fish. I may try out some 1/8th and 1/4oz and see how they do. Especially pushing jigs. Currently run 1/4 - 1/2oz egg sinkers to keep my jigs down. Extra weight would only help in that.

Post Thanks / Like

For a larger bait and jigging I use a 1/4oz head. Shorter baits I will drop to a 1/8oz. Im not a slower fisher and cant stand the slow fall of anything smaller than that. I run stumps faster than alot of guys though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/4 ounce heads when the fish are 12 feet down, to get the bait down there and kept it there as the boat moves. The size of the head is not a negative factor generally. If I was casting, or fishing under a cork in shallow water, the fall might matter more, and a smaller size might be the ticket... Line size has a lot to do with the sinking rate, as well as keeping your lure down, when the boat is moving, so don't forget about that...

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used 1/4 oz for crappie or even bass when it comes to ballhead jigs. 1/16 oz is usually heavy enough along with the weight of the plastic lure. As important is hook size. Generally I find the best lure action when the hook comes at 1/3 of the lure's front end. Any further back and the body action is shot. Some anglers figure if the tail action is fine, no problem, but lure action isn't only in the tail. I'll go to a #8 hook for really short lures and go up to #2 hook for larger baits. A variety of hook sizes can be found for most ball head jigs and the only place I've found them is on EBAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting post! Maybe 15 years ago or more, when my Father-In-Law was alive, we use to troll for crappie in various places. I'd always use the 1 1/2" size baits and he was always using 3" curly tails on 1/4 oz. ball head jigs. Yep.....every time he'd whip my behind. Yet, for whatever reason these lessons never sunk in between my ears. Guess I'll go into my smallie box and pull out some suspending Rogues and some 3" & 4" curly tails to try again.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes SlabSeeker0485 LIKED above post