Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ever have one of those days.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ever have one of those days.....

Where you organize all your stuff the night before for your first fishing trip of the year...set the alarm early to beat the crowd to the launch...pull up knowing your boat is gonna run great because you just got it back from the shop where you had it tuned up, fuel filters replaced, new water pump, etc.....ease the boat into the water...and it purrs to life a split second after turning the key....the smell of two-stroke mixed with the lake smells of fish on bed....then it won't go in gear because the mechanic at the shop forgot to hook that back up after replaceing the water pump? Talk about frustating.
    Forbidden fruits make for some real jams.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you man. Bad brake. Nothing will mess up a really good day like boat trouble.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw thats nuthin, listen to this.

Years ago my brother inlaw comes over in the early morning for the first day out of the year. He pulls his trailered boat through my neighborhood (condos back then) going over speed bumps.

We leave the development and instantly smell burning rubber. So we pull into 7-11 and park, we find out the axel on his trailer was rusted through and had broke on the speed bumps. The tires were rubbing on the frame. We back it into a parking space and tell the folks at the store whats going on.

My brother inlaw used to work at Home depot so he calls one of his pals over there with this plan of his. We decide to head over 15 miles north to Home Depot and buy a trailer kit and use the axel set from it get on the road, then repack it all and return it for a full refund.

We get to Home Depot and park when the phone rings (his cell), it's his wife (my wife's sister), and she has a personal matter that requires his presence. Hes fumed by now of course. He asks me to step out of the truck. I reluctantly comply. I overhear screaming into the phone and look at him, hes red as beat now and major p'd!

He gestures to me to get back in the truck. I get in and he says "we have to go to my house" his house is 20 miles west, even further from the Potomac now. So he burns down the highway not willing to tell me a thing. We get to his house he darts through the front door and in a minute back out again. OK I'M CURIOUS NOW!! He doens't say a word and starts the truck and burns back at 80+ mph.

We get back to Home Depot and buy the trailer kit. We've covered at least 60 miles or more ... away more than 2 hours and we still haven't got back to boat at the 7-11 parking lot. We got to my house across the street and get my tools and go back to the boat, it takes us about an hour to fix the trailer.

We finally get on the road and burn down to our planned boat ramp to launch from, Guess what? The ramp is closed due to high water on the river!! Of course we are both cursing and kicking by now. We make a last ditch effort and burn up stream another 20 miles to the next county park and poof we''re in luck the ramp is open!!! But the river is dirty and flooded, we say (blank) it we're going fishing! We put in and gear up, we get out there and fish for anything at this point. Nothing nothing nothing. We decide to go into a tributary upstream and finally find some nice slow clean water. I pitch a float-n-fly rig a few times and viola a crappie!!!!

We concluded after a half a day wasted and one dink that was enough abuse for ourselves and went home.

The moral of this story, a working boat is nice, but a working trailer is much better.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-24-2007 at 10:59 PM.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by backtocrappie
    Aw thats nuthin, listen to this.

Years ago my brother inlaw comes over in the early morning for the first day out of the year. He pulls his trailered boat through my neighborhood (condos back then) going over speed bumps.

We leave the development and instantly smell burning rubber. So we pull into 7-11 and park, we find out the axel on his trailer was rusted through and had broke on the speed bumps. The tires were rubbing on the frame. We back it into a parking space and tell the folks at the store whats going on.

My brother inlaw used to work at Home depot so he calls one of his pals over there with this plan of his. We decide to head over 15 miles north to Home Depot and buy a trailer kit and use the axel set from it get on the road, then repack it all and return it for a full refund.

We get to Home Depot and park when the phone rings (his cell), it's his wife (my wife's sister), and she has a personal matter that requires his presence. Hes fumed by now of course. He asks me to step out of the truck. I reluctantly comply. I overhear screaming into the phone and look at him, hes red as beat now and major p'd!

He gestures to me to get back in the truck. I get in and he says "we have to go to my house" his house is 20 miles west, even further from the Potomac now. So he burns down the highway not willing to tell me a thing. We get to his house he darts through the front door and in a minute back out again. OK I'M CURIOUS NOW!! He doens't say a word and starts the truck and burns back at 80+ mph.

We get back to Home Depot and buy the trailer kit. We've covered at least 60 miles or more ... away more than 2 hours and we still haven't got back to boat at the 7-11 parking lot. We got to my house across the street and get my tools and go back to the boat, it takes us about an hour to fix the trailer.

We finally get on the road and burn down to our planned boat ramp to launch from, Guess what? The ramp is closed due to high water on the river!! Of course we are both cursing and kicking by now. We make a last ditch effort and burn up stream another 20 miles to the next county park and poof we''re in luck the ramp is open!!! But the river is dirty and flooded, we say (blank) it we're going fishing! We put in and gear up, we get out there and fish for anything at this point. Nothing nothing nothing. We decide to go into a tributary upstream and finally find some nice slow clean water. I pitch a float-n-fly rig a few times and viola a crappie!!!!

We concluded after a half a day wasted and one dink that was enough abuse for ourselves and went home.

The moral of this story, a working boat is nice, but a working trailer is much better.
    So now I gotta know...... What did his wife want?
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-24-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That one will always between me and him:D

Well.... I'll tell ya this much it wasn't illegal, but there times I think it should have been LMAO:D

Post Thanks / Like

Hey backocrappie, did home depot take the trailer back ? lol. Yall were lucky it did'nt happen on the hi way. I heard several times that a leaf spring broke and folks would loose their boat or the trailer would crash behind them while being towed.

Post Thanks / Like

oh,

slab-happy you brought up leaf springs, you wanna hear what else my brother inlaw did with that trailer?

He got a new axel welded on and continued using it. And yes the trailer kit was returned. We get togehter for the holidays a few years ago and he confides in me that he was duck hunting or something and the u-bolts gave out on the springs. So numb nut wraps an entire roll of duck tape around the axel and the springs and brings it on home! Then he finally sells it and the boat a couple of years ago to some unsuspecting poor sap.

I'm just knockin on wood right now because my trailer was built in 1969!