Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My day is coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My day is coming!

One day I will catch a crappie- I promise! In my 31 years on this planet, I have never even hooked one by accident. I have commited to learning the art, bought some decent equipment, joined my conservation club, read up on the net and magazines, and ONE DAY I WILL CATCH A CRAPPIE! But not today, I didn't even get a nibble. Someone please teach me- I cannot stand my own ignorance:o

Post Thanks / Like

What you need to do is to be what I call monkey for a while. You know monkey see monkey do. Look around for others catching crappies and be friendly. Ask questions and just watch them. Don't get too close when they are getting fish, but you can fish around them as long as you respect their space. Local tackle shops are a great source of information. Just go and browse and ask questions. Get some jigs and hang around. You'll find people who are on the fish, and the owners/counter people also usually know a lot and are usually easy to talk to.

It would help if we knew where you were. We have agents everywhere! We can help you locate good spots to fish.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Missouri, near St Louis. I would appreciate any help I can get!

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A slip cork and a bunch of these in the right place is all ya need.

Name:  bait.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  24.2 KB
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there NraLover, My advice would be to just stick to the basics like Grizz said. Don't get caught up in all this talk about jiggin' and multiple hook rigs. It will just frustrate you at this time.
    A simple bobber, split shot, and minnow will work just fine. Also, April is the perfect month to catch crappie from the bank or boat as they are moving shallow to spawn.
    With crappie, the bait used is not nearly as important as location. When you get anything around the crappie they usually will strike. You can never go wrong with minnows! Yesterday we had to get the minnow poles out to catch fish. We normally jig fish. Look at our pics on 3/24/07 Lake Nimrod, AR.(Pics) post I made yesterday.
    Get you hands on any crappie videos that you can find. Russ Bailey has some real good ones out, I hear, available at www.CrappieStuff.com
    Also get an issue of Crappie World magazine every time they hit the shelf.
    Good Luck!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

You will catch crappie. Some times it takes a little bit of time. You will get there. Ya have to keep going and get that line in the water. Ask other fishermen at the lake, ask here too...
    Minnows
    crappie nibbles
    grubs
    worms

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Slabbandit is right. Stick to the basics but absorb all the info you can get. I know how you feel. I got my boat last June and I crappie fished on Wheeler lake all last summer and early fall and never caught one crappie. Then a couple of weeks ago I caught one. Then last week I caught three. Then Friday I found a submerged brushpile and pulled ten. Saturday I went back and caught twenty. Keep working on it and it will all come together. Shiners, split shot, slip bobber. That's all you need.