Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife's 1st experience w/ spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wife's 1st experience w/ spider rigging

When my wife fishes she is a devout bobber watcher. Yesterday I was able to get her to go spider rigging with me. She hasn't fished in many years & I really wanted to show her how fun fishing this way can be.
    I got her involved with setting the boat up at the ramp and explained the general idea. As we took off across the water the wind was rough but not as bad as it has been. I took it easy on the ride to a protective cove in the little tin boat & made sure any spray come my way instead of hers. My goal was to do whatever it took to make this an enjoyable experience for her.

There are several brush piles in the cove but there is one in particular that usually holds a crappie and a bass or two. My thinking was better to at least catch a bass quick to get her attention than start out exploring. I got the 8 rods set out & asked if she wanted to fish or watch me first. She said she wanted to watch first so she would know what to do. In about 2 minutes the first rod tip was snatched under water by a bass. Within minutes we had caught several more bass. By now she was watching the poles like a hawk from the back seat of the jon boat.

The first time she yelled, "#4!" I didn't know what the heck she was talking about as I pulled in a crappie. What she was telling me was rod number 4 had a bite. Soon it was #1, #7 etc. The problem I saw with her method was she was counting the rods from right to left & I was counting them left to right. Once I realized this I asked her to simply say left or right. She compromised by yelling out, "Right 3" or "left 8" and so on. I again asked her to just yell out left or right due to my slow mathematical skills compounded by an additional equation to the issue. I said I was glad I didn't have 11 or more poles out otherwise I'd have to take my shoes off to use her method.

I never could get her to sit up front with the poles. She was content to sit in the back. She retired from 24 years active duty 18 years ago & I believe sitting back there shouting direction, encouragement and counseling when I would occasionally be too slow to figure out which rod she was talking about brought some of the NCO to the forefront once again.

We caught a lot of bass and 15 crappie. I thought she would be hooked on spider rigging for sure. While she enjoyed her day she said she would still prefer to watch a bobber. She said she enjoyed the thrill of watching the minnow get nervous as seen by the bobber acting erratically just before going under. She said she would like to go again but asked if I could set her up with a single pole with bobber for her to watch. My answer was a strong, "You bet!"

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's good stuff. Thanks

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Pac

Chris

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent!

Post Thanks / Like

Great story, thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job glad you got her to go! You will have to rig her up a slip float on one those rigging rods!

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like have the wife as a fishing partner. Thanks for sharing the spider rigging report.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. When my wife goes she just does the crossword puzzle.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you’ve found the BEST fishing partner!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast