PDA

View Full Version : Wife's 1st experience w/ spider rigging

Pac in Arkansas
04-21-2018, 09:59 AM
When my wife fishes she is a devout bobber watcher. Yesterday I was able to get her to go spider rigging with me. She hasn't fished in many years & I really wanted to show her how fun fishing this way can be.
I got her involved with setting the boat up at the ramp and explained the general idea. As we took off across the water the wind was rough but not as bad as it has been. I took it easy on the ride to a protective cove in the little tin boat & made sure any spray come my way instead of hers. My goal was to do whatever it took to make this an enjoyable experience for her.

There are several brush piles in the cove but there is one in particular that usually holds a crappie and a bass or two. My thinking was better to at least catch a bass quick to get her attention than start out exploring. I got the 8 rods set out & asked if she wanted to fish or watch me first. She said she wanted to watch first so she would know what to do. In about 2 minutes the first rod tip was snatched under water by a bass. Within minutes we had caught several more bass. By now she was watching the poles like a hawk from the back seat of the jon boat.

The first time she yelled, "#4!" I didn't know what the heck she was talking about as I pulled in a crappie. What she was telling me was rod number 4 had a bite. Soon it was #1, #7 etc. The problem I saw with her method was she was counting the rods from right to left & I was counting them left to right. Once I realized this I asked her to simply say left or right. She compromised by yelling out, "Right 3" or "left 8" and so on. I again asked her to just yell out left or right due to my slow mathematical skills compounded by an additional equation to the issue. I said I was glad I didn't have 11 or more poles out otherwise I'd have to take my shoes off to use her method.

I never could get her to sit up front with the poles. She was content to sit in the back. She retired from 24 years active duty 18 years ago & I believe sitting back there shouting direction, encouragement and counseling when I would occasionally be too slow to figure out which rod she was talking about brought some of the NCO to the forefront once again.

We caught a lot of bass and 15 crappie. I thought she would be hooked on spider rigging for sure. While she enjoyed her day she said she would still prefer to watch a bobber. She said she enjoyed the thrill of watching the minnow get nervous as seen by the bobber acting erratically just before going under. She said she would like to go again but asked if I could set her up with a single pole with bobber for her to watch. My answer was a strong, "You bet!"

catchNgrease
04-21-2018, 10:02 AM
That's good stuff. Thanks

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

slackline
04-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Good stuff Pac

Chris

"G"
04-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Good times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

BarryG
04-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Excellent!

Noodle rod
04-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Great story, thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Slabprowler
04-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Great job glad you got her to go! You will have to rig her up a slip float on one those rigging rods!

scrat
04-21-2018, 12:29 PM
:highfive Nothing like have the wife as a fishing partner. Thanks for sharing the spider rigging report.

dhaire
04-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Great report. When my wife goes she just does the crossword puzzle.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

ET Fish
04-21-2018, 01:42 PM
Glad you’ve found the BEST fishing partner!

Retired2Fish
04-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Ketchn
04-22-2018, 06:28 AM
and here in lies the only problem we have with the opposite sex ....they think the opposite of us .....LOL

sinkermaker
04-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Put bobbers on the spider rig poles and let her watch them

fishervet
04-23-2018, 11:02 AM
lol and that don't happen often...

Lene
04-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Awesome, sounds like you two had a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

trypman1
04-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Wow, great story, congrats !

Hanr3
04-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Awesome! My wife loves to night fish, and is a fair weather camper.
Congrats, makes it easier to get new gear when the wife is on board! Pun intended. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Slab
04-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Great story. If you add a picture it'd make a good home page article.

Redge
04-23-2018, 05:08 PM
It would make a nice article!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Potatoe
04-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Good story, I think I have my wife convinced to go fishing for the first time. I do not have my poles yet but only plan to start with 3 poles. should be easy to count. your story had me laughing also

Tom 513
04-24-2018, 08:03 PM
I read your post to my wife, and we both agreed you could of been talking about her, be patient Lord knows I have to be

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Pac in Arkansas
04-28-2018, 11:25 PM
So today we went on her 2nd trip spider rigging. I asked her to sit up front for a pic and she obliged. Understand a few days ago she was happy to sit in the back shouting words of encouragement. This was suppose to only be a photo op.

Next I said, "You might as well stay there for a few minutes and see if you can catch one." It didn't take long and she had her 1st spider rig crappie.

After that first fish this is who commandeered the "Captain's" seat the rest of the day.

I got to be the deck hand and didn't fish anymore the rest of the day. I was too busy putting minnows on the hook, netting fish or taking fish off the hook. I did strike a fine Captain Morgan pose as I had my left foot on the boat floor and my right foot on the deck to run the trolling motor. For added flair I crossed my right forearm across my knee to really sell the look. But boy of boy is my back killing me after a few hours of that. But such is the price of looking cool.