Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough day...but another TARP.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough day...but another TARP.

Another TARP crappie....14.5 inches. Hit the river around 11:00 and found a ton of shad floating and also a few feet down in the water column. I knew this was going to be tough day. Long story short.....only one fish...although I marked hundreds and hundreds of them. They would just not eat. My buddy fishing with me even tried some of the live shad he scooped up from the water and nothing would hit them either. I have caught more TARP crappie this year than the past several years combined.......what is the difference......not sure but they are all coming on the 1/32....1/16.....1/8 ounce Fin Spin. This one today came on my last 1/32 ounce pink Fin Spin I have...dressed with a Bison colored Trout Magnet. The fish is being held by my buddy Larry Name:  IMG_1123.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  147.4 KBfor the pic......I know I should have held the fish and let him take the pic but I didn’t. It fought hard.....used my Tict Ice Cube UL rod and 2# test SOS line with a 2 foot section of Phantom fluorocarbon leader. I got in on the backside of this shad kill....on this river that makes fishing tough. The only thing feeding on the shad today were crows......blue herons....and river otters. Going to hit it again in the morning with my son...Life is good!

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What'cha reckon caused the Shad kill ??
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What's a TARP crappie?
    Likes TN. WATERSHED LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    What'cha reckon caused the Shad kill ??
    Well it was pretty cold there overnight....and they cranked up the gens to 9000 CFS. I figure they came through the generators when they cranked them up. I’m not really sure....but there were tons of them. Found a few trout barely swimming on top of water......already stuffed with shad......had to net them and pull shad out of their throats that were too big and were stuck. They all swam off after we freed them from their burden.......LOL.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    What's a TARP crappie?
    Tennessee Angler Recognition Program. They have certificates they give out.....well you have to send in I think 15 bucks, I think. You send in a pic of the measured fish and they send you the certificate if they think it is all on the up and up. For crappie the length is 14 inches and above. They have a set length for each fish specie. For instance bluegill have to be 10 inches. I have quite a few so called “TARP fish” but I have never put in for the certificates. I know a lot of states have a similar program. The largest crappie for crappie that has ever been submitted was 19.75 inches. It’s a pretty good program. They will give out Master Angler certificates for folks that get a TARP for the 25 species on their list....now that is pretty impressive.....to get a trophy sized fish for all the 25 specie.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Shad kill! You just don’t expect that in April, but this April has been pretty strange. I am actually thinking about making a trip that direction this weekend....it’s the first weekend in weeks that rain is not in the forecast. Yet! Congrats on the TARP!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Slabprowler is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Tennessee Angler Recognition Program. They have certificates they give out.....well you have to send in I think 15 bucks, I think. You send in a pic of the measured fish and they send you the certificate if they think it is all on the up and up. For crappie the length is 14 inches and above. They have a set length for each fish specie. For instance bluegill have to be 10 inches. I have quite a few so called “TARP fish” but I have never put in for the certificates. I know a lot of states have a similar program. The largest crappie for crappie that has ever been submitted was 19.75 inches. It’s a pretty good program. They will give out Master Angler certificates for folks that get a TARP for the 25 species on their list....now that is pretty impressive.....to get a trophy sized fish for all the 25 specie.

Regards

Well, now that’s a pretty cool program. Alabamy doesn’t do anything like that. If they did they’d have to come up with a different name because AARP is already taken. I fished with CrappieFlopper last week and I’m pretty sure he’s already an AARP. LOL
    Likes Heavy Artillery LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    Well, now that’s a pretty cool program. Alabamy doesn’t do anything like that. If they did they’d have to come up with a different name because AARP is already taken. I fished with CrappieFlopper last week and I’m pretty sure he’s already an AARP. LOL

Actually they do.....and it has much tougher lengths than the TN program.

Regards

http://dev.eregulations.com.php56-6.phx1-2.websitetestlink.com/alabama/16alab/angler-recognition-program/

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the fish! What a catch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast