Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rising water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rising water

How does the rising water usually effect the crappie this time of year from the rain we got Sunday? Looking online Jordan has came up three feet from this pst storm.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is not good with rising water. I think they go up in the woods to feed. Several years ago in Kentucky they did a telemetry study on 60 crappie. Each one had a small transmitter attached to it. They had a big rain and they were able to track the fish up into the woods.

Post Thanks / Like

I am camping and fishing Jordan this weekend. Hopefully it comes back close to normal or something close. Any ideas where to look as far as depth after so much rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now the lake is 220.37 with a normal depth of 216. Two gates are open at 7.67 feet, which is a huge amount of water being released from the dam. I doubt it will be back down to normal this weekend, but on it's way.

Below is a paragraph from the Kentucky telemetry study I mentioned above. You can't get better information than a fish with a radio transmitter attached.

Week of May 5-9
    Heavy rain and rising water are having an impact on the lake. On Friday (May 9) the lake was muddy, 71 degrees and two feet above normal pool. The lake will rise another five feet during the weekend of May 10-11.

Radio tracking surveys performed this week shows most black and white crappie — both male and female — are hiding in shoreline bushes and shallow flooded timber. Of 21 crappie equipped with radio transmitters for this study, only one was found in deep water (15 feet). The rest of the fish were located in water less than three feet deep.
    Approximately half of the study fish tracked this week remained in the same area. The remaining fish moved somewhat, but remained in the same type of habitat and water depth. Crappie are following the rising water into newly flooded cover, such as trees and bushes. Several fish have been located in shallow water between flooded tree trunks and the shore.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished the golf course lake in the community I live in. Until the hurricane messed up the dam. The head water bridges are a hot spot. When the water is up or rising the crappie bite is more active. Especially in late afternoon. But when water starts receding the bites slows

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

chippo
    #Raymarine PRO STAFF
    CHIPPO FISHING / YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan limit,I like that, a good price where can I find more on that research

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Piece not price,my error

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8