HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ? for you spider rigging fisherman

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ? for you spider rigging fisherman

Id like some discussion about what is better and why. Slow trolling minnow rigs, up front, Spinning Reel or Bait Casting Reel?
    Good and bad, which works better and why.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Low profile bait casters with thumb bars....reason, when fishing shallow with 14 ft poles....you can let the line out easy as your bringing the fish in and its easier to get the fish in the boat...or the net.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

No 2 days are exactly alike. Weather, wind, depth, speed are all factors, water color, and on and on. Most importantly is what the slabs want on any given day whether it be minnows, jigs or something else. Find them then let them make your decisions. I use underspin reels because of the convenience. No messing around opening the bail on a spinning reel. Just my preference. My advice may be crap but it works for me. Good luck.
    If we did what was most important in life there would be a shortage of Bibles.................and fishing poles

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use nothing but Thumbar Baitcasters for the reasons G listed. I'm more comfortable with them because I have used them all my life. Yet if you watch tournament shows you will see that most use spinning reels and strip line with left hand. But big thing is they have a net person netting their fish. Fishing by my self I find thumbars much easier to one hand line out and net with other hand.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Hat55, barrelslime, blueball, "G" LIKED above post

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with you guys but nearly everyone iv seen uses spin reels and a YouTube video I watched about setting up to spider rig said never use bait casters but didn't say why.
    I think a bait caster would be more useful for letting out line to land a fish than stripping it off against the drag of a spinning reel
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    I tend to agree with you guys but nearly everyone iv seen uses spin reels and a YouTube video I watched about setting up to spider rig said never use bait casters but didn't say why.
    I think a bait caster would be more useful for letting out line to land a fish than stripping it off against the drag of a spinning reel
    Baitcasters,i rip it off with the drag with them sometimes too

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like the cheap fly reel styled jig reel. They're very narrow, light and I can fit 8 rods in a 12 inch rack. You can also strip line from them with ease. Now if I was fishing 30+ feet of water, probably look for something else, but for spider rigging with 14 footers, they work great for me.
    Likes pineplace, Tom 513, trypman1 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    One of the major drawbacks to stripping line on spinning reels is, your introducing twist in the line. So at some point you will open the bail and have a birds nest to deal with.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished with both and I like bait casters much better and agree with the thumb release when fishing alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the baitcaster side myself. I started off with spinning reels up front and learned quickly they don't work well in shallow water. When you have a 14 or 16ft pole up front only running 2-5 ft down, bait casters are a whole lot easier to pick up and just thumb the fish down.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast