View Full Version : Fish stunner

04-15-2018, 11:28 AM
A buddy of mine has a small pond in his front yard, and we are wanting to see what the fish population looks like. Is there a cheap, easy way to fix up a shocker to accomplish that?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

04-15-2018, 12:44 PM
I don't think that is legal. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd sure find out first.

04-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Iím not worried about the legality of it. Itís a private pond so we can do as the owner wants to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

04-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Be cautious with that mentality, what if he wants an idea of the deer population on property he owns? 😬

04-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Well you can go out and look at deer to get an idea, but itís not quite that simple with fish. I figure if a man built a pond, bought fish for the pond, then he can fill the pond in or sein it if he wants to. A guy charges $150 to go around shocking ponds, so we figured why pay someone to do what we can do. If he wanted to fill in the pond he can, itís his.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

04-15-2018, 01:40 PM
EBay has a lot of them as far as I know it is not illegal to sell them just illegal to use them.:dono

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l2632.R2.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfis h+stunner.TRS0&_nkw=fish+stunner&_sacat=1492

04-15-2018, 01:54 PM
maybe talk to a wildlife agent and see if they will do it for you.

04-15-2018, 02:01 PM
You can tell a lot about the fish population by just fishing the pond. Stunted bluegill means way too many bluegill and not enough predators.

04-15-2018, 03:31 PM
Here is a interesting video about the same thing.

04-15-2018, 07:25 PM
yeah Id say fish it everyday for a week or so and if all you catch are little runt fish and lots of them then more then likely you need to start pitching some on the bank or having tiny fish fries:)

04-15-2018, 08:57 PM
It's TN. It's his pond. He owns the pond and the fish in it. Shock the snot out of it if he wants to. This is the south and we do as we dern well please on our own land just the way God intended it to be. :)

04-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Use a seine net to see the fish.

Skippa Chippa
04-16-2018, 01:18 AM
Get you a pound or two of black powder that should take care of all the fish then start all over with fish he wants in his pond.

skunked again
04-16-2018, 06:31 AM
Have an old crank telephone?
Or, as concrete man said, Seine it. Depending on how big it is, and the shape.
Could get a throw net also.

04-16-2018, 06:54 AM
the best method to tell how a pond is doing is to fish it often ......that's what the fish hatchery will tell you and that's been what I have seen as well

04-16-2018, 11:38 AM
I have one of those Chinese made model fish shocker/stunner., works off 12 volts & the frequency is tuneable (different species respond to different frequency). I wanted to do the same thing and It worked on my Lake, think I paid $300 for it. I also have what they call an "Experimental/Laboratory" gill net. It is made with graduated sizes of squares, from 2" up to 5", 25 ft of each. It works very well. I would sell it , paid $300, made by Memphis Net, extra floats & weights.

PM me for sale prices.

04-16-2018, 04:32 PM
So can you not hook up a cable to the positive and negative side of a battery and it work? Not looking to pay a lot of money to do this. We can pay $150 for someone to come out and do it, so I donít think he is going to pay any more than that. We donít have an old crank telephone, wish we did. Not worried about the legality of it. Just wondering if anyone has ever made one on the cheap? And what would I need to make one? The pond is too big and deep to use a net.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

skunked again
04-16-2018, 05:11 PM
I don't think, even when dnr does it, it shocks very deep. When I've watched them, they've always been tight to the bank.

04-16-2018, 08:03 PM
It is illegal to use electrical devices in TN without a permit (70-4-119), Part C (1) "It is unlawful to use or possess dynamite, an electrical device, explosives, chemicals, lime or poison to kill or stun fish, or to attempt to do so."

True shocking equipment to only stun the fish is very expensive, shock box (several hundred to over a grand depending size) are built with controls to matched the electrical pulse to the local conductivity and fish size and to a certain generator and require protective gear (protective clothing and shut-offs/klll switches), grounded dip nets and specialized anodes. Failure to have a safe system could result in user's death. As others have mentioned, range is very limited.

You could try and see if a local college biology department has a permit to shock, and see if their students could use your pond for practice, they might even write-up a final report for you.

Using a seine will give you the same info, if your net can reach the bottom, just more time consuming and more physical work (you will need multiple pulls of the net).

$150/hr of shocking is very cheap rate.

04-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

04-16-2018, 08:09 PM
As mentioned, I'd fish it, see what the fish look like.

Stunted fish are not hard to spot. Watch a youtube video or two.

Generally small ponds do not get fished enough and the population becomes too dense.

Gomer Snerd
04-16-2018, 11:22 PM
In Arkansas you need a fishing license to fish your own ponds. You can build them, stock them feed them and take care of them all you want. Get caught with a rod and reel and you need a license. A friend of mine was working on a reel, stepped out onto his deck and cast out at the time the possum cop was piddling around. Got a ticket. The pond was owned by about a half dozen families that went together to build and stock it. They all lived around the pond but even if it is in the middle of your land, you need a license.