Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Twain Lake Fisherie's update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain Lake Fisherie's update

Saturday March 24 @ the Harbor Inn, located N. of Cannon dam, there will be a MT Lake fisherie's update provided by Ross Dames MDC biologist and Allen Mehrer from Natural Resource. All interested in improving the crappie fishing in MT should attend if possible. I know this is kinda late info, but hope we can get a group together that want to improve crappie fishing in Mark Twain. Hope to see you there.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't make it- could you give a summary of what was discussed after? Thanks-

Post Thanks / Like

Default MT meeting

Will do Twaingang.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain fisherie's report

TwainGang,
    Don't know really where to start with outcome of the meeting. Growth rate of crappie is as follows, 1st growth year, 4"; 2nd year 6-6.5"; 3rd year 9-10". These are ideal rate's. In MT 3 yr. fish avg. <8". 40% of the fish harvested are less then 9". In one year they were sampling the 3 yr. old fish were 7.1".
    They report that average mortality was 40%. This is much higher then most other lake's. Don't know how they figured this. Supposedly many of the 6-8" fish are 4-6 year's old.
    When it was brought up by many in attendance to raise the length limit to 9 or 10" the first person to reply was a young MCE agent that would check every fish and that there would be a $90 fine for each illegal fish.Really good P.R. Don't think he is working that hard now. My opinion is that it would be a lot of extra work for him. Kind of a Big Badge-Little Man thing.
    Sorry to make this so long, but what it boil's down to is if you want to catch crappie large then dink's, go somewhere else. MDC has no answer's for us and heaven forbid trying something different. It might work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update stockdoc. An agent coming into a meeting like that with an attitude and flippant remarks does not show very good training or education. They need not check every fish caught on the lake for a higher length limit to be effective- doesn't he know the mere "threat" of being caught with an undersize fish is all that is needed? I think they would be a little more contrite being that Mark Twain had gone down hill in recent years for crappie and has never been an outstanding bass fishery either. Maybe its time for some new ideas around there. I know the local businesses are getting frustrated with the quality verus potential of that lake in the fish department.

Post Thanks / Like

TwainGang,
    I think you are right. It is time for new idea's. When the biologist gave the specie's by specie's rundown it was that, MT is not a good bass lake, it is not good for walleye (they are not going to stock anymore), it's not a good crappie lake, so about all that is left is catfish. You are definately right on needing new idea's.

Post Thanks / Like

Tis a shame. MT could be such a good fishery. TwainGang is right. The mere presence and threat would be enough to swing "most" fisherman to do the right thing. The MCE dispayed the attitude "most" government employees have these days. WHY WORK WHEN I'M NOT REQUIRED TO DO SO?? I know there are a few good ones out there who try to do the best job they can. The "no effort", "don't care" ones far outnumber them.

Tis a shame!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

A 10" rule would be fine with me. That's a standing rule in my boat anyway, no matter where I'm at. In the last couple years I've had many a trip to MT where I took NO fish home. Had some trips in the fall months though that left me wondering where these nice fish were in the summer.
    I can understand how the MCE folks might feel about a nother regulation they might have to enforce, but we all have to do what's best for the fishery first, including the MCE people.

Post Thanks / Like

Its amazing to me that the 40% of the harvested fish are <9". Who are keeping these dinks? Unless they are using a scalpel to clean them, I don't know how they could get enough meat off one to do much more than cover a Ritz cracker. There were times a year or so ago where I could catch a decent limit of 10" or better fish at Twain (using jigs only)- I'm anxious to see what this year will be like (going up there next weekend). Last year was an off year for me up there. I never see a shortage of baitfish and most ofthe bass I do catch are fat, and I also thought the COE was managing the water levels better during the spawns but something is apparently going on. I think more HEAVY pressure is needed on our <ahem> tax-payer funded government employees in order to make them manage- its not like the MDC doesn't have the money (at least compared to other states).

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think a 10" length limit would fix the problem. I think the problem is too many fish not enough food. Need to up the daily limit for a year or so, to thin the heard.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast