PDA

View Full Version : Which knot to use?

Jman5626
04-13-2018, 12:08 AM
I have always used the improved clinch knot for everything. I pull it really tight and move the knot closer to the hook side of the eyelet on my jig head because I think it makes the jig look more flat and natural In the water rather than up and down or something like that.
I see Richard gene and a lot of other people using loop knot, polimar (sp)and trilene knots when attaching their jigs... is there one way thatís scientifically proven to be better than the others? Which situations would you use different knots? Is it all just personal preference? I donít know... I guess you can say I donít know a whole KNOT about the subject! [emoji4] lol ok, done with the korny jokes. Whatís everyoneís knot of choice and why?

Thanks guys!
Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

deathb4disco
04-13-2018, 12:39 AM
Is it all just personal preference?

YES!

Ketchn
04-13-2018, 05:41 AM
loop knot ....end of story ....for sure if you pitch a jig

skunked again
04-13-2018, 06:25 AM
Palomar for most things. Improved clinch when fishing aournd or in weeds, it doesn't catch as many weeds or moss.
Gonna try the loop knot though.

elkhunter
04-13-2018, 06:32 AM
I have never had a palomar knot fail. Never!! Not once!! Ever!!

Drakeky
04-13-2018, 07:34 AM
Loop knot for all my crappie stuff

Red190
04-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Look up Wally Marshall loop knot. Good quick video. Easy!

redearhoosier
04-13-2018, 09:02 AM
I take great interest in the subject of knots because my grandfather was a sailor in the Navy during WW2. He was pretty decent tying knots and it always intrigued me. Several years ago, I actually went and ordered the bible of the knotting world, Ashley's Book of Knots. There's thousands of knots and illustrations in his book. They of course cover camping knots, general purpose knots, angling knots, etc.

My advice is to use a loop knot when fishing with lures and jigs. That loop knot is personal preference but I prefer one called the King Sling. It's simple, straight forward and strong. Now if I'm attaching line to a hook instead of a jig, I tie the traditional Snell Knot. Hope this helps.

CrappiePappy
04-13-2018, 09:29 AM
DB4D is correct, IMHO, it is mostly a personal preference. My personal preference is the Improved Clinch, simply because I've used it for so long that I can almost tie it in the dark (by starlight). But, I also use the loop knot for the connection end of my leaders for my jig Pushing rigs & tie the jigs on the other end of the leaders with a Improved Clinch. For casting purposes .... Improved Clinch works just fine for me. The knot may not be the strongest of them all, but I've yet to have a Crappie break the line at the knot (with either 4lb test or 6lb test).

Hammmerhead
04-13-2018, 02:20 PM
I don't know what mine is called, but its fast and leaves a small loop for the jig to stay free. Maybe a double overhand? I thread the jig head and pull about 4inches of tag out. Hold the tag and line end together and wrap the jig head end once around my index and middle finger. I then take the jig and pass it under my fingers through the loop twice and pull both ends. I only use this for small jigs though, Palomar for the rest.

ET Fish
04-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Another vote for loop knot.

deathb4disco
04-13-2018, 02:44 PM
I don't know what mine is called, but its fast and leaves a small loop for the jig to stay free. Maybe a double overhand? I thread the jig head and pull about 4inches of tag out. Hold the tag and line end together and wrap the jig head end once around my index and middle finger. I then take the jig and pass it under my fingers through the loop twice and pull both ends.

Sounds like the surgeon's loop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8e8zmbr-Mo

TerryD
04-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Palomar knot! On everything...

Slabprowler
04-13-2018, 09:58 PM
Used to be a Palomar knot regardless but for the last couple years when fishing a jig I only use a loop knot!

Dutch552
04-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Palomar knot on most everything except jigs where I tie a figure-eight loop knot.

Robert Haynes
04-14-2018, 08:24 AM
I have used the trilene knot my whole life, Iím 60, I did download the app ďWhat Knot to DoĒ and am determined that an old fart can change. I was determined to start using the loop, but even though my mind said ĒloopĒ, my hands instinctively tied a trilene. Iím gonna give the loop and polomar a chance again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techno2000
04-14-2018, 12:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGTgvAvm64
Non Slip Loop Knot

INDyak
04-14-2018, 01:17 PM
Loop knot(surgeons) for jigs/cranks. Polamar about everywhere else

deathb4disco
04-14-2018, 01:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGTgvAvm64
Non Slip Loop Knot

That's the knot I use in saltwater.

Excellent tutorial.

Potatoe
04-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Never tried a loop knot, just watched some videos. Since a kid I have always tied a blood knot but had issues ice fishing with it. Changed to Trilene knot seems to hold much better never had one slip. Looks like loop knot helps with jig movement.

silverside
04-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Palomar mostly when using braid. Krey loop knot for crankbaits and jigs using mono.