HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which knot to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which knot to use?

I have always used the improved clinch knot for everything. I pull it really tight and move the knot closer to the hook side of the eyelet on my jig head because I think it makes the jig look more flat and natural In the water rather than up and down or something like that.
    I see Richard gene and a lot of other people using loop knot, polimar (sp)and trilene knots when attaching their jigs... is there one way that’s scientifically proven to be better than the others? Which situations would you use different knots? Is it all just personal preference? I don’t know... I guess you can say I don’t know a whole KNOT about the subject! Which knot to use? lol ok, done with the korny jokes. What’s everyone’s knot of choice and why?

Thanks guys!
    Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Thanks FIN thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    Is it all just personal preference?
    YES!
    Likes skeetbum, need2befishin, Alphahawk LIKED above post
    Thanks Jman5626 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

loop knot ....end of story ....for sure if you pitch a jig
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes blueball, Red190, Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Palomar for most things. Improved clinch when fishing aournd or in weeds, it doesn't catch as many weeds or moss.
    Gonna try the loop knot though.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a palomar knot fail. Never!! Not once!! Ever!!
    If we did what was most important in life there would be a shortage of Bibles.................and fishing poles

Post Thanks / Like

Loop knot for all my crappie stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Look up Wally Marshall loop knot. Good quick video. Easy!
    Keep on keepin on!!!
    Likes ford man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I take great interest in the subject of knots because my grandfather was a sailor in the Navy during WW2. He was pretty decent tying knots and it always intrigued me. Several years ago, I actually went and ordered the bible of the knotting world, Ashley's Book of Knots. There's thousands of knots and illustrations in his book. They of course cover camping knots, general purpose knots, angling knots, etc.

My advice is to use a loop knot when fishing with lures and jigs. That loop knot is personal preference but I prefer one called the King Sling. It's simple, straight forward and strong. Now if I'm attaching line to a hook instead of a jig, I tie the traditional Snell Knot. Hope this helps.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DB4D is correct, IMHO, it is mostly a personal preference. My personal preference is the Improved Clinch, simply because I've used it for so long that I can almost tie it in the dark (by starlight). But, I also use the loop knot for the connection end of my leaders for my jig Pushing rigs & tie the jigs on the other end of the leaders with a Improved Clinch. For casting purposes .... Improved Clinch works just fine for me. The knot may not be the strongest of them all, but I've yet to have a Crappie break the line at the knot (with either 4lb test or 6lb test).

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what mine is called, but its fast and leaves a small loop for the jig to stay free. Maybe a double overhand? I thread the jig head and pull about 4inches of tag out. Hold the tag and line end together and wrap the jig head end once around my index and middle finger. I then take the jig and pass it under my fingers through the loop twice and pull both ends. I only use this for small jigs though, Palomar for the rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast