Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dock shooting help

Post Thanks / Like

Default dock shooting help

wanting to start shooting docks but cant get the hang of it. Practicing in the back yard at the pool. Sitting in a chair mimicking boat deck. Need some help on trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. Using a 6ft medium rod with 6 pound test. 1/16 head with bass assassin. Some of the times I am hitting the water too close to me and at other times if I hit it farther it doesn't seem like I am generating enough power to make it skip. Suggestions and tips appreciated.
    thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hold the rod parallel too the water. Load that baby up, and let the rod do the work.

Before you know it, you'll be shooting out the other side of the Dock..
    Likes Kking LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kking View Post
    Using a 6ft medium rod ...
    I think a lighter rod would help.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a fast tip rod? Timing is the key and line to rod tip level with water

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Practice, practice, and more practice!! Start by shootin in a 5gal pail and graduate to a coffee can. I always shoot with 4lb test and 1/32 oz jig until late Spring and then run 1/16 for quicker fall rate. I like the Lew's Wally Marshall
    5'6'' rod and their 7fter too. A little stiffer helps for longer shots and my accuracy. Try using softer rubber jigs to allow for better skipping on top. ie. Bob's jigs and Bobby Garlands. It took me quite a bit of time to get good and I know I
    can be better. It is a blast when you start pulling them out of them docks and pontoons!! Good luck!
    Likes Kking, Jwater LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kking View Post
    wanting to start shooting docks but cant get the hang of it. Practicing in the back yard at the pool. Sitting in a chair mimicking boat deck. Need some help on trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. Using a 6ft medium rod with 6 pound test. 1/16 head with bass assassin. Some of the times I am hitting the water too close to me and at other times if I hit it farther it doesn't seem like I am generating enough power to make it skip. Suggestions and tips appreciated.
    thanks!
    I see nothing wrong with your setup, other than you might consider what "genec" said ... a fast action tip rod will make a difference. But, if that's not in the cards at this time ... take your time at "practice". Don't worry about how far you can shoot the jig at first ... concentrate on lining up your shot with the line that's between the rod tip and jig. You want that line to be "almost" parallel to the water's surface ... just a few degrees higher at the jig end. Then work on the timing of your release. That's the main factor in where the jig lands, once released.

I like to let the jig get just past the rod tip before letting go of the line at the spool. If your line from the jig to the rod tip is pointing at a spot on the water and you let go of the line at the spool once the jig passes the rod tip ... most of your "shots" will land close to where you were aiming. Don't aim with the rod, actually don't even think about the rod ... all it is is a spring board that puts motion behind the jig. Use your line as your sights. You want the jig to hit the water just under the edge of the dock, and with the power behind your shot and the slightly down angled line orientation ... it should hit the water and skip across the surface.

If you're sending the jig high/low or all over the place ... release timing is the problem. You may even want to start out by not loading the rod up fully ... and concentrate on releasing the line as the jig goes past the rod tip. Once you get that timing figured out, increase the load on the rod a little and so on until you have the rod loaded up like you'd have it when actually fishing.

And be aware that, even when you get "good" with your shots ... there's still gonna be times when you shoot the jig completely over the dock or have the jig simply drop straight down on loose line. It only takes a fraction of a second worth of distraction to make a wild shot. I've been shooting docks for over 15yrs & I still have a misfire now & then.

I tried all manner of rods, different lengths (5' - 8') and power (UL - Med/Hvy) ... parabolic bend & fast action tips. I currently use a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod (very fast action tip). I like it because it "shoots" the jig, whereas the parabolic bend action rods seemed to "sling" the jig ... and I wasn't getting as much "skip" or distance from the parabolic bend rods.
    Likes Skippa Chippa, Slabprowler, Kking LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone. I looked a little closer at my rod and it is a medium light IM6 pflueger trion rod. I will keep practicing with it for now as well as change up my baits possibly to see if I can find one that skips a little better. I realized that I was prob unintentionally aiming "down" too much because I was trying to keep my rod parallel to the water instead of focusing on the line/bait. I also think this rod may have more of a parabolic bend decreasing the whip at the end. It seems like when I dont enter the water for 15/20 feet, it doesn't have the energy needed to skip. Any other ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This guy is "decent" at dock shooting. Good tutorial too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVGJABqGRKw

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

From what you've written, and what you've read here, My Humble Opinion is that you just need more time on the water trying this for yourself. As you have already found, there's a learning curve that goes with this technique like many others. Pick a rod and don't use any others to shoot with. Keep changing the rod and it's kinda like moving the sights on a gun, just makes it harder. You'll get the timing down, then learn how to get the distance, and the nuances of getting a better skip. A flat sided body skips as good as it gets, something like a Bobby Garland Baby Shad (BGBS). Others do well also but look close at one of those and you'll see the similarities to other baits. 1/16 and 1/32 work best for me, with the 1/32 being my choice. The 1/16 is easier to learn with, I think.

This is the learning curve as I saw it. I started with a 5'6" rod with 4lb line and 1/16 jigs and a flat sided body. I lost a lot of them and went through a lot of line. now I shoot anytime the quarters get tight under trees and such, with whatever rod I have in my hand. Over 8' gets a little dicey. It will be a well used tool in your box in just a little while.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I really like UL rods when I do it. Like to keep the jig about 6 inches below the reel parallel with the water if possible. I use 6Ft Shimano Clarus rods but I'm waiting for the new Ozark Dock Shooter in 7 ft to come out in May nd gong to send those jigs out here hard!! lol Good luck and you will get it with time on the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast