HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Planer Boards

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planer Boards

What is the best place to get them. I want ones I can use to crappie fish with and striper fish with.

Thanks Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-08-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    2011 Z8 250 Mercury
    Solix 15
    360 on Ultrex

Post Thanks / Like

Off Shore Tackle OR-12 with Tattle Flag Set of 2
    ---Frank's Great Outdoors

Opti Tackle Planer Boards with Tattle Flag
    ---Northwoods Wholesale Outfitters
    Likes sir catchalot LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

As Dutch said, Frank's has about the best price around when it comes to purchasing Pre-rigged boards.

A word of caution however:
    Frank's purchased the bulk supply of leftover boards from 2016 (before the 2017 season). In 2017, Off Shore changed the way the tattle flag system attached to the board (IE, the angle of the wire). Many of the "older" boards that Frank's had were setup in the old style. It isn't a huge issue as you can simply change over the eye screw to the new location. Note, the older 2016 boards do NOT have the pre drilled hole for the new location. It is however easy enough to rectify. Also, the older 2016 boards do NOT have the adjustable weight chamber to adjust your weight. It will have the weight and a slot BUT the slot has a plastic stop in it. Again, if you want to change them you can remove the weight and cut out the stopper. These are two ways to recognize the older boards from the newer ones. Again, they is ZERO difference in board setup and design other than the predrilled hole for the tattle flag kit eye screw and the stopper removed.

Also new for 2017 was the addition of the multiple hole tattle flag. Unlike the older flags that only had ONE hole and the spring tension was adjusted at the front of the board (four positions), the new flag has 4 holes. So, instead of 4 tension settings for the older style, you now have 16 tension settings. ALL old boards can be updated with the new flags and the adjusted tattle flag angle.

Another thing to be aware of. Frank's (in the past) did NOT utilize Off Shore tattle flag kits to be installed on their boards. Thier wires were hand built and the springs were NOT Off Shore springs. These cause issues regarding spring tension. You can purchase OEM springs direct from Off Shore if need be.

Here is what I purchase (direct from Off Shore) when I buy boards:
    OR12L or OR12R (left or right)
    These are the new boards that come with the appropriate flag. This board comes with (1) OR19 orange clip (front) and (1) OR16 red clip (rear). It also has the predrilled hole (in the proper location) for the tattle flag upgrade.

I also purchase OR12TFEK (tattle flag economy kit). This comes with the proper eyelet, the wire to activate the flag, the spring, the bushing, a screw, and a split ring to attach the OR16 from the back of the board to the tattle wire.

You DO NOT need to purchase the OR12TF kit ($27.10). This kit comes with a flag (already comes with the board), all the above economy gear) and (2) OR16 clips. For every 4 boards, I usually will purchase (1) of these kits. This gives me extra OR16 clips.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Thanks rebranger thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Church Tackle TX-12 Mini Planer Boards - Franks Great Outdoors

I had some the tx-12 mini planer boards for awhile (until a family member commendered them). Worked good for a crankbait, or light jig.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2011 Z8 250 Mercury
    Solix 15
    360 on Ultrex

Post Thanks / Like

Northwoods Wholesale Outlet is another choice to buy planer boards from right now they have Cabelas advance boards with the tattle flag system for $12 bucks not as good as the offshore brand but decent for the price.

https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product...d-strike-flag/