Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reel Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel Problems

I have several low profile baitcasters (1 Shimano and two Bass Pro Extremes) that I use to tightline with heavier weights. This winter, I cleaned the reels and lubed (Hot Sauce) them. They were all working fine. The other day, however, I got them out and all of them had the same problem: the line guide would move along the worm gear when reeling in but would remain stationary when line was pulled off of the reel. It must have been something that I did since they all started malfunctioning at the same time with the same problem. I didn't disassemble anything so I know I didn't them back together incorrectly. I have heard that the pawls wear out, but one of the reels is brand new and the others get very little use. I would appreciate any advice or insights that you can provide as to what might be the problem and how I might get them fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

I just went back and re-re-read your post, it hit me, you said they don't move when pulling line OFF
    most of the new reels won't do that, disengaging levelwind, makes 'em cast further.
    I don't think you have a problem... but I will leave my reply up just since it took all
    that brain-strain to type

I'm wondering if, in cleaning, you somehow liquified some grease or gunk
    and it ran into where it should not be, then "set up" as the oil or solvent
    evaporated over time - the little round pawl thing with "fork" on top -
    rides against the worm shaft, in a cup that screws off bottom of levelwind.
    It has to be able to turn (twist) freely when it reaches the end of the worm
    and reverses direction - might try cleaning them out - a little dab o grease on
    the fork itself, but only real light oil on the lower part... sometimes there
    are shims in bottom of the cup, careful not to lose!
    Last edited by J White; 03-23-2007 at 11:36 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe J. White is correct for most reels. Some Abu Garcia reels have a non-disengaging levelwind and may be different in this regard. By having the levelwind track during a cast, it is thought that the sharp line angles on the outgoing line (especially on wide spool reels) will be reduced BUT, there is that much more machinery in motion that creates drag/friction during the cast that woll slow down things, so it is probably a wash. If they work for reeling in, that is all you need for most low-profile reels.
    Last edited by TwainGang; 03-23-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys may be right. I have always used Abu's and was judging these low profile reels on the basis of how the Garcia's work. I use them for muskie and catfishinga nd would continue to use them, but they are a little bit heavy for crappie fishing. I really like the low profile reels for heavy spider rigging because of their size and ready ability to carry 10 lb line. For everything else I use spinning reels. I really didn't do much to the reels, and it may be that the line guides never moved when I let out line.

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass Pro Extreme

...sounds like you've got it working "right". I have one and the level line rewind disengages when you push the cast bar.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem- you're welcome. Some little odd facts floating around in my mind come in handy sometime. That and the fact that I have about 6-8 different brands of bass baitcasters I use. I am starting to get involved in the cleaning/breakdown/lubrication of them more in the off-season. Abus do make some tanks as far as reels go- but they will last forever!