HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANCHORING

Post Thanks / Like

Default ANCHORING

I realize this maybe a stupid question but since I've lost more than one anchor over the years, how do you attach your anchor line to your anchor?

I've been trying to figure out a better way to attach the rope to the anchor eye other than just tying it. Over time the working of the rope in the metal anchor eye weakens the rope. Or is this just happening to me.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a thimble in the loop of the rope.
    Best to use a length of chain with a clevis to the anchor and a clevis to the rope.
    A thimble will not wear the rope due to chaffing.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default ANCHORING

I use a shackle and assess the rope. Never lost one due to failure.

Did lose one due to getting it stuck when I lost power, and had come back and dive for it.
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong kind of "thimble" but I can't see how to get the thimble in the eye of the anchor. You gotta pic maybe?
    Thanks

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I tie a knot leaving a little tag line. Then I use electrical tape to wrap the tag line to the rope. Never comes undone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWAMP FOX View Post
    Maybe I'm looking at the wrong kind of "thimble" but I can't see how to get the thimble in the eye of the anchor. You gotta pic maybe?
    Thanks
    not an advertisement for this particular unit, but for visual only.

You would need to select the correct size, so rope would fit within the grove. Need to open the ends to allow the shackle or what ever eye that you are attaching rope to. Place thimble thru shackle, place rope around the thimble, secure the rope end, tie knot, wrap with wire, tape, what ever you want. This will prevent the chaffing that you have been experiencing. Make sure that t he rope is tight within the thimble.

Loos Cableware AN100 thimble.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "D" View Post
    I tie a knot leaving a little tag line. Then I use electrical tape to wrap the tag line to the rope. Never comes undone.
    I do the same except I use duct tape. And I tie mine on with an improved clinch knot. Just like a big heavy lure. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

To open a thimble as referenced above - put one leg in a vise and grab the other with a BIG pair of pliers and TWIST that leg out of alignment with the other. Put the thimble through the anchor eye and reverse the process to close it. You will NEVER open one by pulling the legs apart. Once the thimble is through the eye then thread your line and tie a good number of half-hitches in the line. Mine has 5 half-hitches and a piece of shrink-tubing over the end to prevent the line from fraying.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

"put one leg in a vise and grab the other with a BIG pair of pliers and TWIST that leg out of alignment with the other."

Thanks, Clint. That helps me understand how to get the thimble into the eye of the anchor. I also watched a couple of YouTube videos on splicing the thimble into the anchor line but I think I'll just go with a knot and duct or electrical tape. That's easier for me than splicing since I got arthritis in my fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

Add a piece of chain between the anchor and your line. Won't wear. The chain will take the wear of the boat jerking on the anchor.
    Thanks "G" thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast