Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing is Hot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing is Hot

The crappie have moved in shallow 4' to 6' and they are hammering those jigs. Today I caught 74 with many in the 1 1/2 lb. range including a big sow
    that tipped the scales at 2.4 lbs. I released her and most of the big slabs that we caught. I caught all of these fish on my # 682 and # 683 Wooley Booger jigs. You can check my website for the description of these jigs. www.wooleyboogerjigs.com. Todays water temperature was at 58 degrees. By the way I caught so many fish on one jig today that I wore the body completely off and I caught a slab on just a jig and a feather. Then for the fun of it I cut the feather off and threw in a bare jig; right again! I caught another one. They just can't leave those Wooley Boogers alone!

Post Thanks / Like

I am really glad to hear that you released those fish. More people need to do that to those bigger fish. It will help them in the long run.

Westwood Guest

Default RE: Jigs

Do you fish those jigs under a float?

Post Thanks / Like

hillbilly gunner -- just curious...why would I need to release a big fish? So they can have more babies? That's the only reason I know it would help us in the long run. And of course, you know what's going to happen -- the next one who catches it sure won't release it.... Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

hillbilly gunner, by the way, I just noticed you are a Murray State student. COOL! I worked at Murray State for 15 years (in the Dean's Office, College of Industry and Technology) and loved it. It is a great place. I live in Nashville now and work at a College. Work hard...your degree will pay off!!!
    Debbie Bennett

Post Thanks / Like

CLG, if it ain't been caught b4 it got to 2 lbs, chances are it will never be caught again if released. and it has the genes to make more big fish..selective harvest works, ask any biologist. and besides, if anyone catches it again, i'm sure it will be a child. (in my mind) and it will be something they will never forget. big fish are too valuable to catch just once. IMHO FD

Post Thanks / Like

Westwood; I normally fish my jigs tightlining over my mats until I get as shallow as 4 feet. Then I will use them under a float because my trolling motor will hit the stakes on the bed. This method works very well in shallow water but I am addicted to the jerk on the other end of the line so I tightline when possible!

Post Thanks / Like

Right on Fishdoc! The genes the things! Catch and eat the runts, don't let them suckers multiply!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

crappielovingirl: Last year I caught 4,120 crappie. I can't eat them all and I get tired of killing them just to give away. I worry about people such as myself depleting the resource that I so dearly love and I want to leave some for future generations. I think those big fish can probably do a better job of defending their eggs from predators than say an 11 inch fish could. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about but I feel better about myself as a sportsman in doing so. But it is something to consider!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 58 degrees

Where were you fishing yesterday?
    Thanks
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast