HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fluorocarbon line

Post Thanks / Like

Default fluorocarbon line

I was trying to put some on my spinning reel and as soon as I got it on the reel it literally sprang off of the reel like a confetti cannon.....it was twenty pound line. Can this line not be used on a spinning reel?

Post Thanks / Like

It can be used on a spinning reel. It has to be coming off the spool in the right direction. It should come off the spool in the same direction that the reel turns pointing the rod at the spool laying flat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captdave View Post
    I was trying to put some on my spinning reel and as soon as I got it on the reel it literally sprang off of the reel like a confetti cannon.....it was twenty pound line.
    20# on a spinning reel?

Are you fishing in saltwater?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to put some on my spinning reel and as soon as I got it on the reel it literally sprang off of the reel like a confetti cannon.....it was twenty pound line. Can this line not be used on a spinning reel?
    20lb test fluro is pretty stiff for a spinning reel IMHO. Even so, I tried to spool up some 8lb fluro for a buddy of mine's spinning reel ... and it did the same thing (as soon as the bail was opened). Wound it back on the main spool & put regular mono on.

Why do you think you need 20lb line ?? I understand wanting fluro for the "invisibility" of it, but not the pound test size. Even 20lb mono on anything but a 4000 series spinning reel would likely have the same problem, IMHO. I think I'd opt for 20lb test braid as the main line, then add a couple of feet of the fluro as a leader. (either that or switch the reel to a baitcast reel, if possible)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    20# on a spinning reel?

Are you fishing in saltwater?

What size spinning reel are you using. You seldom see anyone using that large of line on a spinning reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
    You seldom see anyone using that large of line on a spinning reel.
    Except in saltwater.

Even then, as CP notes above, you need a big reel with a big spool to manage the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I am not sure what i was thinking when i bought the 20lb test.
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I am not sure what i was thinking when i bought the 20lb test.
    A lighter fluoro will work much better. Also, a lot of the bass pros (like KVD) swear by using a line conditioner when using fluoro. I'm gonna experiment with that this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Dealing with floracarbon . I fill my reel and then unspool it all the way. Lay the line down on the ground and reel it back on the reel. It lays on the spool great then with no problems. Another way I have done is fill the spool of your spinning reel. When you are on the water in your boat traveling down the lake let the end of your line over the side of boat. Pull all of it off with the boat . Stop the boat reel it back on the spool. This will take all the kinks out of your line and it will be on your reel super smooth

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post
    Thanks captdave thanked you for this post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My honest opinion , no ! Great for single pole and leaders ,end of story . I tried all sizes and " that dog want hunt " .
    Likes quadlee LIKED above post
    Thanks captdave thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast