Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Pliers - What's Your Brand?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Pliers - What's Your Brand?

Been looking around for some new fishing pliers, would like to get two or maybe three pair and have them lanyard in a few different locations on the boat. Mainly will use for hook removal and line cutting including braided line. Was surprised to find some as much as $300 bucks for a pair of Abel's and as cheap as $7 on amazon but of course most of them came with really bad reviews as to be expect for cheap products. I know you get what you pay for but I'm hoping to find something with decent quality for around $15 or so; do you all have any recommendations or suggestion for fishing pliers?
    Likes mcc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sears craftsman needle nose. 2 pair one in the front and the other in the back of the boat. If you broke them Sears will replace them hard to beat that.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie84 View Post
    Been looking around for some new fishing pliers, would like to get two or maybe three pair and have them lanyard in a few different locations on the boat. Mainly will use for hook removal and line cutting including braided line. Was surprised to find some as much as $300 bucks for a pair of Abel's and as cheap as $7 on amazon but of course most of them came with really bad reviews as to be expect for cheap products. I know you get what you pay for but I'm hoping to find something with decent quality for around $15 or so; do you all have any recommendations or suggestion for fishing pliers?
    I have a pair of the Bubba Blade pliers and they seem to work real well. Can't say what they cost, wife got them for me Christmas before last.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie84 View Post
    ... $300 bucks for a pair of Abel's ...
    Do it! Go big or go home.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of the Bass Pro branded pliers that I been using over 10 years with no complaints,they cost less then $20.00.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  61IsimpYVEL._SL1286_.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  92.2 KB

Mustad Model #: 047502

I picked these from Mustad about three or four years ago at Keesler AFB MWR store at their marina. For me these have been excellent...including cutters, and notches for pinching different types of weights. They are designed for saltwater so they resist rust and corrosion. Back then, I think I paid $18-20...well worth it if you can find them.

I also keep several varieties of surgical forceps that allow me to easily reach/remove deeply embedded hooks.

Another thing I do is tie some parachute cord on them with a small loop for a small carabiner. For us old Army guys we call it a "dummy cord" to prevent loss.

All have their preference. You'll find what suits you best. Good luck!
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I want to cut braid ... I use Fiskar Child Size Scissors (Walmart ~$2-$3) because the cut always leaves the tag end clean cut & blunt.

Hook removal ... I have several pairs of curved Kelly Surgical Forceps (removed from disposal box @ hospital I worked at) which can also be purchased thru Walmart & online venues.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the exact same mustad set. Beem looking for another pair ever since. Great product, doesn't rust or lock up, and has never let me down. It has slots to crush steel sleeves, open sinkers, and cut.

For most of my cutting, I keep clippers on both sides as well as surgical scissors

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I have the exact same mustad set. Beem looking for another pair ever since. Great product, doesn't rust or lock up, and has never let me down. It has slots to crush steel sleeves, open sinkers, and cut.

For most of my cutting, I keep clippers on both sides as well as surgical scissors
    Glad u like them. They serve me well. I also keep fingernail clippers on a retractable badge holder attached to my PFD for clipping line. A little bit of creativity does not have to be expensive.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    If I want to cut braid ... I use Fiskar Child Size Scissors (Walmart ~$2-$3) because the cut always leaves the tag end clean cut & blunt.

Hook removal ... I have several pairs of curved Kelly Surgical Forceps (removed from disposal box @ hospital I worked at) which can also be purchased thru Walmart & online venues.
    It may have been you that suggested the kids scissors a while back, but I bought the blunt nose ones so i can stick in my vest pocket without poking holes and they cut braid or mono as well as anything I've tried. Cheap too, bout a dollar at Walmart so I have several laying around kinda like reading glasses in the house LOL.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast