Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Beautiful morning on the Coosa River

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beautiful morning on the Coosa River

After being nearly skunked last week thought I would give it another try and I’m glad I did. Arrived at Logan Martin Lake about 6:15, launched the boat and had to decide where to fish. Since I really didn’t see any fish last week I wasn’t sure where to go, but after catching two crappie before I could even get all six poles in the water I knew I picked the right spot. Air temp was 57 and water temp was 61. Had red, white and orange jig heads on and black/chartreuse, and grape/chartreuse jig body colors.
    Started at the mouth of a cove in about 12ft of water and had 6 fish in the boat pretty fast. 5 of the fish came off the single pole I had a red jig head on so changed over a few more poles to red. Did a complete circle of the cove and only picked up two more crappie so went back to my starting point and just did a small circle pattern near the mouth of the cove. Caught them pretty steady until about 8:30 then the bite stopped.
    Decided to try some lighter color jig bodies and “Bingo” the bite was on again. Was using Weiss lake killer and monkey milk. Water temp had risen to 64 by now and about 11:30 the bite slowed again.
    Tried a few more places but not much better so decided I had a pretty good day and headed home to clean my catch. All in all was a great day. Caught and released several 3lb plus spotted bass and at least 15 short crappie.
    Really not sure what stage the spawn is at. Based on where I was catching them I felt they were just coming into the coves or they were spawning and hanging out at the exit of the cove. After cleaning fish still wasn’t sure. They had eggs and their tails showed signs of making beds. None where super fat like they normally are before the spawn. Some eggs were still bright and firm others were pale and loose. I’m sure I’ll know if I can get out again soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice,way to go!

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice fish. Doesn't all your stuff fall out when the boat's upside down? Nice rig.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

tlefire is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report. Hope to make it out tomorrow if the wind is not too bad. What part of the Coosa you on ?

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job! Glad you was able to catch em!

Post Thanks / Like

Great day for sure!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

I was gunna say it might be tough to ketch if the boat is upside down , but the good news is once it got right side up yawl filled the bucket with them ....
    nice read sir ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your subject says Coosa River but the picture shows Australia. Oh well, either way, you did a good job of catching and having fun.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!