Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wappapello tactics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wappapello tactics

What are the tactics you guys use on Wapp? I like to fish a float and two jigs on the flats. This is the tactic we use from January to the spawn. The depth of water we fish ranges from 11' down to 2'. The depth depends on the weather. The more sun usually the less water depth we fish. The first of January we were catchin em in 3' of water fishing 18" deep. The spawn we do the same thing but on the bank. Then during the summer we go to trollin with minnows. My favorite time of year is late winter-early spring. This is when flats fishing is the best for us. I am not really crazy about the spawn because the lake is FULL of fisherman who only fish that time of year. We do as well or better before the spawn without all the people.

later
    longshot

Post Thanks / Like

longshot, i'm with ya i fish flats on loz nearly year round with the exception of dec & jan. if you can find brush near the channel in feb you have usually hit jackpot. you hit the nail on the head when you said make long casts it makes a big difference,the warmer the water the fish dont spook as easy,i have caught alot of fish in 3 ft of water sitting right on top of them from apr to nov. I start every trip fishing shallow i only move deeper when i have to. When you troll the flats do you work the channel edges?
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

bugman

We usually only troll in the summer in flats fishing at least 10' deep. I HATE tollin if the water is shallow. You cant just swing the crappie into the boat because you dont have enough line out. I hate walkin my hands up the pole to reach the crappie, because several get off the hook doing that. In late winter, and spring we fish the flats right off the creek chnls. As the water warms we move shallower. Lots of times from January on we will be in 3' of water by the afternoon in the sun is out and it is not real cold. I do not fish from september to the middle of January usually because it is hunting season.

The flats we fish are mud. There are scattered stumps that the fish seem to key on at time. The way we fish brush is to tie up to it and verticle jig it. I will fish deeper water with a float up to 7' deep(early spring/late winter we fish 11' water @ 7' deep). We use mainly allstar 7' PRL rods in spincasting with 6-8lb line. We have used 10' B&M rods to cast floats and jigs to deeper fish.

later
    longshot