HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville walleye

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville walleye

Anyone have any reports or heard anything. Tempted to hit the dam tonight. Normally the weather is a tad warmer than it’s been this year so far

Post Thanks / Like

I skipped it this year because of the weather, moving on to other fish.

Post Thanks / Like

They're up on the dam now.
    Thanks wolfhnd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

They weren't on Saturday from 2:30pm - 8:30pm. At least...not that I heard/saw...nor were interested in the things I was throwing. I will say I graphed a lot more fish in the dam area than I had either of the previous two weekends I'd been out.

In that entire 6 hour period I only saw three other boats and two guys fishing from the rocks and nobody catching anything. Smithville walleye are fickle, especially during their spawn!

Post Thanks / Like

All walleye are fickle during the spawn. They aren't nest builders and the males will gang up on a female and chase her until she releases eggs. Their brains aren't very big and when they're in spawning mode, that's the only thing they think about. You can occasionally get a reflex strike on something noisy. We caught good numbers of fish on Jacomo and Longview Thursday night. They're in, just busy doing something besides feeding.
    Likes dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The weather has been less than ideal but the walleye are definitely on the dam. I've sampled the dam at Smithville 3 times this year and will probably finish up walleye sampling Tuesday night 4-10-18. Judging from what I have seen, the walleye spawn will peak this week. Here are my catch rates so far this year.

March 27 - 112/walleye per hr
    March 29 - 154/walleye per hr
    April 5 - 240/walleye per hr

Catch rates this year will be very close, if not slightly above, our 10 year average.

Post Thanks / Like

Which area of the dam seems to have the highest concentrations?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dennis View Post
    The weather has been less than ideal but the walleye are definitely on the dam. I've sampled the dam at Smithville 3 times this year and will probably finish up walleye sampling Tuesday night 4-10-18. Judging from what I have seen, the walleye spawn will peak this week. Here are my catch rates so far this year.

March 27 - 112/walleye per hr
    March 29 - 154/walleye per hr
    April 5 - 240/walleye per hr

Catch rates this year will be very close, if not slightly above, our 10 year average.
    thanks for the info Eric.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there Saturday night from 730pm to 10pm fishing the bank. Saw 3 boaters and I was the only one fishing the bank. I didnt see any eyes shine nor heard anything along the bank. Talked to one of the 3 boaters and they had no luck either. Was shocked that there wasn’t more boaters and anglers out for being such a decent day.
    Last edited by crappiebum_kc; 04-09-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to how difficult it can be to catch a walleye during the spawn. The only appeal it has is an end to cabin fever. The recent snows has left me in a winter depression and I cannot manage the energy to go after something as elusive as a spawning walleye. Besides they are easier to catch in the summer and fall. I caught a 25" walleye last fall fishing for white bass.

Most of the walleye I have caught over the years have been while trolling for them in the summer something I no longer enjoy because it feels like overkill to me (catching a walleye was for my younger self something of an obsession). I know people that seem able to catch them vertical jigging in the summer but that is not my style at moment either. Being a fair weather fisherman myself I have a lot of respect for the people that almost always catch something but I don't want to turn a hobby into a job.

The reports are still entertaining and maybe I will redevelop my obsession someday but until then I live the walleye catching adventure vicariously through fishing stories.

I did give it a half hearted go after F.I.S.H day but no luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast