Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Information Please--New to the Board

Gone Fish'n Guest

Default Need Information Please--New to the Board

I live in the southern part of the state and my boys and I are advide crappie fishermen. At my 11 year old's request they all want to come up to Enid and Sardis to do some "real" crappie fishing (their words). I have wanted to come visit and do some camping myself so we are planning a trip for spring break (3rd week in March). If any one can point me in the right direction I will greatly appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows where I can purchase some good maps of Enid, Sardis and Grenada Lakes I will appreciate that as well. Great forum by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

You can probably get good lake maps for all 3 at the WalMart in Grenada. For Enid and Sardis that pre-spawn can be hit or miss so you might have to move around some to find them. At Enid there is some standing timber in relatively deep water just out from the Water Valley ramp (easily found on a map) that usually holds some fish. Also, I don't fish the upper lake at Sardis that early but I hear people talking about Piney Point. I usually fish the lower lake at Sardis in March and find them in laydowns.

rotorman Guest

You can get good maps at any Wal Mart close to the lakes. Enid as well as the rest of the delta water shed lakes are high right now and will probaly remain that way thru the year. Try Billys Creek first. There is a good ramp close by. Spider rig or troll small jigs of your choice until you locate the fish. Using a sonar on the creek chanels is good but slow. There are stake beds evey where. Do not hesitate to go real shallow on warm days. Use a weedless jig or better yet use a crappie slider jig. If you see any of my hot pink floats in the water just pick them up and give me a call. Don't for get to take the net! Dey is some biguns up there!

Gone Fish'n Guest

We really appreciate the info, we are definitly getting excited. We will make a run to Little Black creek next month to make sure all of the gear is up to speed and the camper is over winter, then we will be up your way late March. Another question my 11 year old (you can tell who keeps me in the water) is there any places good for wade fishing that is productive. He got a taste of wading last fall in Colorado (rainbows) and absolutly loved it. If I see any of your floats I will definitly give you a shout.

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Gone Fishing,

Pascagoula is my hometown. I am in Alabama now but We are gonna be moving back this summer sometimes when our work here is done. We will be living in the Ocean Springs area. Have you ever fished Lake Perry? That is north of you in the Beaumont area (Perry County). Do you have a boat? If you have a boat why you going to North Mississippi lol the best Crappie fishing in the world is just up the river from you in the Dog River. Anyway Lake Perry is a nice place, little but it has lots of Crappie and camping is great. If you go during the week you probaly wont have any company but the weekends sometimes fill it up. If you have young children and want to get them on fish, Perry is the place to go. They also have boat rentals for only a couple dollars a day. Hope this helps and you need to check out the river where you live.

Gone Fish'n Guest

Definitly, we fish Perry and the Pascagoula River Oxboxs regularly. matter of fact we pulled 9 slabs out of Perry during the Christmas holidays (had to look for em though). I have a 16, 15 and 11 year old that could fish before they could walk. The 11 year old will fish 24/7 if i would let him. They just want to go somewhere different and "mamma" wants to go up to the lakes to camp. Good to hear from a hometown guy
    Last edited by Gone Fish'n; 01-27-2005 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you know the river, do you know where Hackney lake is on little river? If so there is another lake up the river about quarter mile on right going north. River low hard to get into it, River high still hard but I have seen some big bass boats in there in high water. Them two lakes produce nice Crappie all year long. Yeah I told another guy in here about Perry couple weeks ago and he hasnt tryed it yet I dont think. I used to love Perry lake seemed when we went we had it to ourselves and when someone was there they was looking for them crappies too. Hey Feather you still out there? Here is another Mississippi boy that has been to Perry and look what he is catching lol. I told you. Hey Gonefishn, how about Potticaw you ever fished around there? Sorry for all the questions just remembering so old times when we would catch them big ole river crappie and have bragging rights for a day or so lol

Gone Fish'n Guest

If you are talking about where I am thinking--I went in there one time and almost had to leave the Ranger and haven't been back. But I have heard some good accounts of nice slabs coming out of there. Now Potticaw is a different story, you are talking about big ole river crappie. My dad had a houseboat there and he and I spent most weekends fishing for slabs when I was little (many a good memeories there friend). That is one of those places that you got to know where to look and one would find it hard to tell you where without showing you--man you making me want to go fish'n right now!

I tell you another place, but it is definitly a secrete. If you put in at Shinglemill landing, go west up the river you will come to the mouth of Black creek. Instead of turning up Black creek, stay in the river and go to the next inlet, it runs parallel with black creek. All of the local guys refer to it as baby black creek. If you have a deep V or deep draft boat don't even try it because it is full of cypress knees and other stumps. Go up the creek until you come to a large bend, can't miss it--you will see the biggest willow tree you ever laid eyes on. There once was two willow trees there and a hurrican blew one into the creek--so there is one under the water and one over the water. Cast a gold willow spinner with a bright green tube right into the willow limbs. Of course be prepared to lose some rigs and slabs, but the ones you get to the boat will make it well worth the effort. I may have to take the rest of the day off and go fish'n
    Last edited by Gone Fish'n; 01-27-2005 at 03:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

(Whoa) We had a houseboat up the bayou from Poticaw for many years used to be a aligator that hang around the houseboat he was about 14 feet long and never bothered nothing and we even swam in that water lol but that has been 35 years ago sometimes I wonder if that ole gator is still alive. Last time I went up there has been about 4 years ago. A friend and I went and caught lots of fish including a bunch of crappie. We took tents and stayed on the sandbar across from hackney. We set out troutlines and fished hard for a week. We say every year we gonna do it again but havent done it. I sure do miss living there if the fresh water fish aint biting motor 30 minutes and catch flounder and specks lol. If you was starving and living down there it was your own fault, is what we used to say. I probaly know your Dad if he stayed at Poticaw. I know several ppl that stayed out there 4 years ago or had houseboats out there. If I dont know him I know someone who does lol. I also fished the interstate ten bridge pilings now that was alot of fun but of course we was catching them bass plenty of them hanging around them pilings catching them on live shrimp lol. And the Marsh bayous are full of Bream big ole Bream. Everyonce in awhile we would find a crappie in the marsh but they dont like the brackish water too much. Well good to hear them ole fish are still hanging around my old stomping grounds I will be back soon and I will be fishing that area alot. See ya round man and hope yall enjoy the north lakes. Nothing like taking the family on a camping trip and include fishing to the trip. Kids always remember them trips all there life.