Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Selective harvest (video)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Selective harvest (video)

"The sufferings of the present are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed in us." - Romans 8:18

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to take more than selective harvest. The sport of crappie fishing is growing at leaps and bounds. Every year you see more and more people getting into the sport. Every year you see discussions on lakes from every state that are being over fished and people are seeing a decrease in quantity and quality. Its like your bank account if you keep abusing it you end up with nothing until somebody steeps in and starts managing it. This is what the DNR needs to do is make changes and start managing our waters so we and our kids will continue to have a sport to enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

For me even with changes, I don't know who'd enforce them. It's been at least a decade since I've seen a game warden in my parts.
    "The sufferings of the present are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed in us." - Romans 8:18
    Likes 1187mg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieDontTap View Post
    For me even with changes, I don't know who'd enforce them. It's been at least a decade since I've seen a game warden in my parts.
    It's only going to get worse. Unless theirs a big infusion of money. I forget how many counties a single conservation officer covers in Illinois.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
    It's only going to get worse. Unless theirs a big infusion of money. I forget how many counties a single conservation officer covers in Illinois.
    That's how I'm seeing it too. If it's down to self regulation and fisherman's choice, the live well is always going to win.
    I'm remember one day I caught almost 50 shellcrackers. It was a day of catch and release. I can't tell you how many guys screamed at me for not keeping all of them. I told one guy we could keep 20 of them. He just laughed and said ok.
    I've actually thrown back a 10.5" and 11" bluegill back this year. With the spawn right around the corner I want their genetics in the water system.
    If I told anyone around this neck of the woods I did that they'd never understand that philosophy. I have kept 22 bluegill the last few days but they're all between 7"-9".