Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPIDER RIGGING, JIG VS MINNOW

Post Thanks / Like

Default SPIDER RIGGING, JIG VS MINNOW

I understand when we are slow trolling jigs ( pushing ), the bite is a reaction bite. Now, if I want to bump along real slow, do I need a minnow rig, tip the jig, or not. How many of you just use jigs only no matter what, when spider rigging? I do use nibbles and scent when bumping along. I also use straight minnows too. I was hoping to get away from minnows all together. I may be making a mistake here, I've made many before. lol
    Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: I use jigs with plastic and also tipped with minnows and just a hook and minnow. I let the Crappies tell me what they want. Would like to get rid of minnows. Some guy's do but I haven't been able to yet. Going to go a couple of times without minnows to see what happens. Good Luck . O - R

Post Thanks / Like

I only use jigs and nibbles, have been for many years. They both work, but I like the simple jig for my crappie fishing. I normally catch all I want. I spider rig and long line troll mostly. Minnows are a pain to me.
    Likes minnowtime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We use straight jigs, jigs with nibbles, jigs with slab sauce, jigs with minnows, and minnow rigs. To me its like changing jig colors or styles. Sometimes they just bite better. A lot of people fish with just jigs and do very well, but we almost always have a few minnows just in case that is what works best. We catch fish with all of the above, but like outdoorsron said sometimes they just prefer minnows.
    I see it kinda like going home from work and expecting roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner. I get home and find out we are having burgers and fries. While I like both and either one will fill me up, I was all set for roast. That day the burger just wasn't as appealing. I will still bite, but not like I would have if it were roast.
    If you were on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you??

Former Navy Corpsman
    Likes FIN LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Why can't you use both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Why can't you use both?
    #1- they ain't cheap anymore.
    #2-around here they look more like bass minnows.
    #3-to see if it can be done. (challenge I guess)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jay the baptist View Post
    #1- they ain't cheap anymore.
    #2-around here they look more like bass minnows.
    #3-to see if it can be done. (challenge I guess)
    4) Kind of hard to put em back in the tackle box at the end of the day. I guess it can be done, but it’s gonna stink!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes wannabe fisherman, woodyard LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have jig fished from docks for many years sometime fish want minnows but most times jigs will out fish minnows. Not enough for me to switch to minnows. The only time I even consider minnows is right after a cold front.

Post Thanks / Like

My fishing buddy, Don, and I tightline only. Pushing jigs. We used to farkle around with minnows, minnows and tubes, just minnows, etc.

Then we switched to just 1/32 ounce jigs tied 24 to 36 inches below 3/4 ounce sinkers with 1 1/2 to 2 inch tube lures alone and never looked back. For us, tube jigs by themselves outfish minnow rigs. We spend less time messing about with bait, changing out dead bait, buying bait, etc. And we catch fish. At the end of the day back at the ramp, we usually end up with more and bigger fish than the minnow dunkers and trollers.

Tom
    Likes minnowtime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Will be trying those tubes tomorrow. I learned it all right here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast