HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP a minnow fisherman learn about jig fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP a minnow fisherman learn about jig fishing!

Hey guys, I hope everyone is having a good spring crappie season!
    As the title states I have used always been a minnow fisherman and I want to get into the wonderful world of jigs! I have always been intimidated by all the different color combinations, jig head colors, spinners, and style of jigs; there are literally thousands of combinations out there! For me it has always been easier to tie on a minnow and they either bite or they dont. So I guess my questions are:
    -How do you choose your jig head color, and if you want to use a road runner style or just a plain jig head?
    -How do you decide on jig body type?
    -What determines jog color selection, and color combinations?
    -When you are not catching fish, how do you know if its the color you're using, the style you're using, or if the fish are just not there?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have always been very interested in using jigs, just to intimidated and scared to try it!
    Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
    Likes sds888 LIKED above post
    Thanks Jman5626 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    Hey guys, I hope everyone is having a good spring crappie season!
    As the title states I have used always been a minnow fisherman and I want to get into the wonderful world of jigs! I have always been intimidated by all the different color combinations, jig head colors, spinners, and style of jigs; there are literally thousands of combinations out there! For me it has always been easier to tie on a minnow and they either bite or they dont. So I guess my questions are:
    -How do you choose your jig head color, and if you want to use a road runner style or just a plain jig head?
    -How do you decide on jig body type?
    -What determines jog color selection, and color combinations?
    -When you are not catching fish, how do you know if its the color you're using, the style you're using, or if the fish are just not there?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have always been very interested in using jigs, just to intimidated and scared to try it!
    Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
    Anytime anybody asks this question, I post the same thing. It's all you need to know, and it's been working for me for over forty years:

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company - Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Weedless Crappie Slider "Why&How"

You can use any jig body and color you like, since they all work. Depth and speed is what's most important.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link! Definitely some good info there!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are fickle beasts. Spider rig or long line with a buffet of different colors and you will see that color does make a difference. They may change preference every couple of hours but they normally will show a preference.

So far as what I start with, darker colors in low light (morning, evening or cloud cover) and lighter colors during daylight. Water clarity also plays a factor. So far as jig head colors, I go with something that is a stark contrast to the body color that I'm using but don't stray too far from pink, blue, lime green or chartreuse.

Post Thanks / Like

How many truly rig their jigs in this way? As the old saying goes, if you ain't hung up, you ain't fishing.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    How many truly rig their jigs in this way? As the old saying goes, if you ain't hung up, you ain't fishing.
    Sorry I need to ask ...which way?

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Brewer weedless jig. I've never rigged this way and maybe I missing out.

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Brewer weedless jig. I've never rigged this way and maybe I missing out.
    It's very weedless, but the most important part of that link is the "how" portion. You can use any bait you like rigged weedless or non-weedless.
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use this rig for crappie and bass. Guess for about 15 years. I won't say it's the absolute best but it is certainly ties for best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what Deathb4disco posted at the link, I'd offer the following:

Pre-spawn (and early/late in day post spawn until hot weather) we do awfully well casting road runners in shallows. Especially in ponds, around cover in lakes or near drop offs in rocky lakes. Early season you'd be surprised how shallow you'll find them. Pink or red head with white marabou in clear water/high sun, chart head black/chart body in murky water/dark skies. Secret is fishing them ssslloowwllyy.....

As to jigs - we use plain leadheads with tubes or grubs and do best with 3 colors (perhaps because they are the ones we fish the most) - pink/black, black/chart, red /chart. We have never found a pattern re: light or water clarity (but we don't fish 3x week like the hard core folks do). Sometimes we fish them straight down with a little wiggle at the target depth, sometimes we cast and crawl them back, we often fish them under a slip bobber (very deadly for neutral/negative bites).

But we do like drowning minnows as well !!!!!!!
    2003 Nitro 288 Sport
    1998 Lund Rebel 14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast