Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any early spring crappie tips ?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Any early spring crappie tips ?

We had a late winter here in northern Indiana, ice just melted a week or so ago. Water temp. is around 35*-40*. I fish a small lake, average depth 6'-8' the deepest being 10'-15' in a few spots. Any tips as to where to begin to find the fish and lure/bait selection. -Thanks :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Find the deepest water and fish from the bottom up. My guess is that the fish will suspend over the deepest area of the lake. Fish slow.

Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Because the sun sits in the southern hemisphere, the northeast corner of the lake will be warmer. Fish slow.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I think you mean .....

Quote Originally Posted by denmo83
    Because the sun sits in the southern hemisphere, the northeast corner of the lake will be warmer. Fish slow.
    the Northwest corner. ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Use tiny minnows and microjigs under floats with real light line. When its that cold unless you catch them at the right moment they are going to stare at a bait for a bit before hitting. They are right though, look for warmest water, but not deep. Keep an eye on the shallows where the sun shines on the water just outside the spawning areas. Your likely to find some really large schools right now if you get lucky and have a major slamfest. :D
    Good things come to those who bait.