Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: making an fish kooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default making an fish kooler

I was given an older electric igloo ice chest that didn't work, and was wondering if anyone had used expanding foam in a can to repair a minner aerator... I want to seal off the cooler vent but don't want to kill the fish...These are the holes I'm Talking about...Name:  20180325_063345.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  14.6 KB. Any Ideas. And yes I know it would be simpler to just go buy a new cooler box, but if this can be used then I would rather use it....thanks for reading, and suggesting any ideas.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default making an fish kooler

Goop Marine works well in wet scenarios (after it dries of course) ...

Name:  IMG_1707.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  69.9 KB

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, thank you for the suggestion rnvinc. Never even thought of that. So long as it don't put off any thing that will harm the fish, I think it will work. Thank you. going to use this to hold a few dozen minnows till I get my "man cave" as the wife is calling it, built then going the blue plastic barrel route...thank you again rnvinc.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

5200 silicone and an aluminum plate to cover the majority of the holes. Super heavy along the bottom and around the edges where the rounded portion is. butter up both sides, push them together and smooth the excess with your finger and wedge a stick cut beforehand in place to hold it in place for a few hours until it sets. You'll have it until you're tired of looking at it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

expanding foam in a can will eventually absorb water, and make a huge mess. If the electronics are shot, why would it matter if they get wet? I would use as is.

Post Thanks / Like

It don't matter if they get wet at all, but water leakage where one fan is a problem. tried already and it leaked. I took all that mess off and have a small square hole about three inches up from bottom. Wound up being where a heat sink was located that leaked not a fan. Any way it looks like the Goop and a small piece of aluminum to do the job. Thank you everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Skeetbum is on it. You may want to rough up the surfaces with sand paper first to get better adhesion. Spray foam you get in a can is not closed cell foam and does absorb water. They have a latex foam in a can now that may work better but I think I would just plate over it.
    It is what it is!