Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Garmin Striker Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Striker Question

Does anyone here use a Garmin Striker Fishfinder? It doesn't matter about the size of the screen, I have a question about how it functions. I have one that I bought back during the Winter but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I live about 2 1/2 hours from where the boat is and I haven't had a chance to get up there and get the boat in the water since I bought the Garmin. But, I've been watching some fishing videos on YouTube and a guy was using a Hummingbird. He had it in Down-view and came across a brush pile with fish. So he moved a cursor on the screen until the crosshairs were right on top of the brush pile and marked a waypoint so he could navigate back to the brush pile again and fish it. I know the Garmin doesn't have the fancy mapping features like the Hummingbird, but it does have a very simple GPS and mapping system that allows you to set a waypoint and navigate back to it. But I don't know if you can set a waypoint, like this fellow did, on the Down-view or Clear-view, as I think it is called, on the Garmin. So I'm hoping that you of you guys can answer that for me.

Thanks

Gill Fisher

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Garmin striker cv4. I experimented with waypoints and gps coordinates some last week on cave run lake where I know the exact coordinates of structure the department has place. On the model I have you can place a waypoint on you current position but as far as moving the point around on the screen, I am not sure.
    Hope this helps.

Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Fisher View Post
    Does anyone here use a Garmin Striker Fishfinder? It doesn't matter about the size of the screen, I have a question about how it functions. I have one that I bought back during the Winter but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I live about 2 1/2 hours from where the boat is and I haven't had a chance to get up there and get the boat in the water since I bought the Garmin. But, I've been watching some fishing videos on YouTube and a guy was using a Hummingbird. He had it in Down-view and came across a brush pile with fish. So he moved a cursor on the screen until the crosshairs were right on top of the brush pile and marked a waypoint so he could navigate back to the brush pile again and fish it. I know the Garmin doesn't have the fancy mapping features like the Hummingbird, but it does have a very simple GPS and mapping system that allows you to set a waypoint and navigate back to it. But I don't know if you can set a waypoint, like this fellow did, on the Down-view or Clear-view, as I think it is called, on the Garmin. So I'm hoping that you of you guys can answer that for me.

Thanks

Gill Fisher
    check this video out and see if it helps with your question !!! hope this helps !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwyJB-4GAaM

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent video. Thanks for posting. Very informative.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Strmwalker, for the video. I saw the part where he moved the cursor around on the map and maybe that is all it will do. So, I went back and found the video I was watching before and I was wrong about it being a Humminbird. It's a Garmin, but not the one I have. His Garmin has lake maps on it, and he probably paid way more for his than I did for mine. Here is a link to the video I was watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHn71xkwHpo This particular part of the video that I was asking about begins at about 4:23 and ends about 4:39. Now I know the maps will be different because the Striker doesn't have anything nearly that sophisticated, but the question is, "Can I put a cursor on a down view image or a side view image and mark a waypoint like this fellow did in the video?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Strmwalker, for the video. I saw the part where he moved the cursor around on the map and maybe that is all it will do. So, I went back and found the video I was watching before and I was wrong about it being a Humminbird. It's a Garmin, but not the one I have. His Garmin has lake maps on it, and he probably paid way more for his than I did for mine. Here is a link to the video I was watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHn71xkwHpo This particular part of the video that I was asking about begins at about 4:23 and ends about 4:39. Now I know the maps will be different because the Striker doesn't have anything nearly that sophisticated, but the question is, "Can I put a cursor on a down view image or a side view image and mark a waypoint like this fellow did in the video?

Thanks
    give Garmin Tech support a call 800-800-1020 they will tell you exactly what needs to done and the are very helpful a would be glad to help !!!! keep that number handy and if you ever have a question while on the water they are great to work with over the phone !!!

Likes Gill Fisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic! Thanks, Strmwalker, the telephone number was great!!! The guy was very polite and brought up a Striker 7sv which is the unit I have and walked through the process with me, giving me step by step directions. It WILL mark a waypoint on any of the screens, not just the GPS screen. And if you are in split screen with 2 kinds of images on the screen at the same time, it will work there as well. Just moving the arrow keys will bring up the cursor and hitting the Save Waypoint button, whatever it's called, he described what I looks like and I'm familiar with it, will save the location of that particular brush pile. And in split-screen, you don't have to do anything to move the cursor from one screen to the other except move it with the arrow keys. You don't have to do another step to move from one screen to the other. Giving me the phone number was a great help and great advice. Much appreciated.

Take care

GF
    Likes strmwalker, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic! Thanks, Strmwalker, the telephone number was great!!! The guy was very polite and brought up a Striker 7sv which is the unit I have and walked through the process with me, giving me step by step directions. It WILL mark a waypoint on any of the screens, not just the GPS screen. And if you are in split screen with 2 kinds of images on the screen at the same time, it will work there as well. Just moving the arrow keys will bring up the cursor and hitting the Save Waypoint button, whatever it's called, he described what I looks like and I'm familiar with it, will save the location of that particular brush pile. And in split-screen, you don't have to do anything to move the cursor from one screen to the other except move it with the arrow keys. You don't have to do another step to move from one screen to the other. Giving me the phone number was a great help and great advice. Much appreciated.

Take care

GF

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Gill Fisher
    I have the striker7sv and yes you can save a way point similar to the way he did you just pause the screen and adjust the cross hairs over to the location and hit man overboard then edit to name the spot