HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full size van or truck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Full size van or truck

I'm looking at getting a cheap tow vehicle, so I don't have to use the family mini-van to take the boat out. My commuter car won't work for towing.

The third vehicle budget is $5000 max and preferably less. It'll be just for fishing and camping. It'll need to hold two car seats and another adult. It needs to be able to pull the boat, and a load of camping stuff.

Older full-size vans, seem like they'd be ideal for now. Especially considering the camping stuff can locked up easily and left ready to roll.

Most of friends that think an old truck would be better. But that is all they have experience with, and no experience with a big van. I don't need to haul loads of dirt, mulch, etc.

What are the disadvantages to driving an older van, vs a older truck? Any other considerations or input is appreciated.
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Older anything has it's downside! I'd go with a van myself, I've had a full size van and with kids it comes in handy, I have a truck now!
    Thanks EWS thanked you for this post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't need to haul anything look for a older Tahoe or similar vehicle for your towing needs.
    Likes wannabe fisherman, "D", slackline LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've used my uncle's Navigator, and a friend's Tahoe. In comparison, out Odyssey has a ridiculous amount of interior capacity.
    Eric
    Likes timd3200 LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My buddy had a full size Dodge van. He mounted rod holders to the inside roof. Now poles always in the van and takes less loading time for an outing.
    Likes EWS, Northforker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Man, you can't beat a van! I've always loved them and have owned a bunch of them. Nothing rides or drives better and, at least around here, a van is way cheaper than a truck. The only issue I can think of is that the conversion vans, with all their extra weight (mainly fiberglass roofs and body kits) are generally under-powered. Adding a big, heavy boat makes things worse.
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Chevy Astro. I still say it's been the most useful vehicle I've had. Rated to tow over 5000#, seating for 8, lots of storage space.
    I had the cheap one, two removable bench seats. I always left the rear one out, utilized the extra storage space.
    They made them in AWD also, mine was rwd. Recommend the AWD.
    I pulled a 16' tin boat, 20' pontoon, 16' ski boat, and a 6 x 12' box trailer with it. It was always asking for more.
    Do a search on them, the modification possibilities are endless.
    I would recommend getting one with rear heat/ac, that's alot of space to heat and cool.
    Keep in mind with a truck, you'll most likely put a topper on it, which is more money.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a truck, or like someone said Suburban or Tahoe. The old Suburbans and Tahoe's like the gas but are built to tow and haul. They in my opinion are cheaper and easier to work on...if you are a do it yourself type person or hiring it done....my son used to be a mechanic and he alway said you need to double the time to do anything on a full size van vs a truck or Suburban. A big part of this equation for me would be what can I find that has the best miles, best overall conditon for the monehy. All will get the job done.
    Likes EWS LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Full size van (12-15 passenger size, minus the seats) will be fine. Up until recently I used a Suburban for landscaping. Loved the ability to keep gear ready to go at all times but locked up. Pulls the trailer very easily. FYI Currently have it for sale (under $2k), but it needs tires and battery.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a truck man myself. Like the 4wheel drive and case I need it. I've got the crew cab with the the hard back on the bed that is lockable.
    LittleJohn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast