HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spider rigging and dealing with long rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rigging and dealing with long rods

Feel a little goofy asking this question but here go's......I am interested in getting started trying to spider rig. Almost have my boat ready and poles needed. My question is....any advice on how to transport and manage these long freakin' poles? I am clumsy enough with just ordinary poles so if anybody has any tips/advice I sure would appreciate any input!!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep them assembled and rigged, then, just lay them on the sides of the boat. Small end forward, reel aft. My boat is 16' and poles are 16'. I hook the lure in the back eyelet, twirl the line around the pole, then lay it in the side of the boat.
    Thanks captdave thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also keep them rigged and ready to go but I use rod socks to keep them from getting all tangled up. There are several types of rod racks you can install on the boat but I use a cover on the boat and would have to remove it every time I wanted to put the cover on so I also lay them in the boat and strap them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    FISHING, no better way to spend the day!

Post Thanks / Like

Rod transport racks...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
    but I use a cover on the boat and would have to remove it every time I wanted to put the cover on

I just solved that problem on mine. One bimini top pin on each. Takes me about 2 seconds to remove each one and lay it down.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What boat ?? (brand/model/length or pics would help)

Several members have "transport racks" of various designs that are specifically made to transport multiple long rods (on road or water). You will likely have several members offer their opinions on which is best, so the choice is yours.

I can't offer any recommendations as I don't "Spider Rig" per se ... I mostly "Push" jigs/cranks with my long rods .... and I currently only have three 14' rods. They and all the other one and two piece rods are covered with various brands of rod socks & transported in the rod locker of my boat. When in use they are strapped down on top of the rod locker when moving from place to place. My fishing partner's rods are dealt with the same, rod socks or not. (My boat is a 16' ProCraft 1999 model) It doesn't take me but a few minutes (on the water) to put the long rods together and in the rod holders ... but, if I had 8 of them, I would put them together prior to launching and strap them down on the rod locker.

Post Thanks / Like

I strapped mine down for years but can only get about 3 or 4 across on top of my rod locker. That meant piling the rest on top of those (usually have 8 to 10 long rods, pending on whether someone else is with me). Always a tangled mess when I finally got to where I was fishing. The rod racks that I installed this year makes things infinitely easier.
    Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quackrstackr View Post
    I strapped mine down for years but can only get about 3 or 4 across on top of my rod locker. That meant piling the rest on top of those (usually have 8 to 10 long rods, pending on whether someone else is with me). Always a tangled mess when I finally got to where I was fishing. The rod racks that I installed this year makes things infinitely easier.
    I'm interested in the rod racks but whenever I'm double dipping, they'd be in the way. I have a 19' boat so I leave them laying down the side of the boat. To keep from tangling, i normally put the hook in the hook seat of the rod and grab the line about halfway up and wrap it around the pole. It doesn't totally eliminate the tangles but it sure helps. I use 14' SCR's.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quackrstackr View Post
    I just solved that problem on mine. One bimini top pin on each. Takes me about 2 seconds to remove each one and lay it down.
    Please explain in more detail, or a picture or two, as I'm interested, but lost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lane47 View Post
    Please explain in more detail, or a picture or two, as I'm interested, but lost?
    Go to ezpoleholder.com. A member here who has a great transport system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast