HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for an upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time for an upgrade?

Well, after a scary experience on cave run Sunday, my girlfriend has given me 2 options. Either sell my boat or get a safer one. So I guess I知 getting a new boat! Lol
    I think I have found one I知 interested in, but I have a few questions.
    The boat I知 looking at is a fiberglass 1985 challenger fish-ski with a 1985 90 hp 2-stroke evinrude on the back. I looked at the boat yesterday, motor starts and runs as it should. The boat appears to be in great condition other that usual scratches and weathering. I知 just a little leery of buying a boat that痴 almost a decade older than I am... anyone have any experience with these boats? Anything a first time fiberglass buyer should look for?
    I値l take any info I can get. Thanks everyone.

JesseName:  IMG_8607.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  148.9 KBName:  IMG_8605.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  134.6 KBName:  IMG_8610.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  109.6 KB

Ps: always wear your life jackets.....

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass boats can hide a lot of defects. Main thing is to check for weak spots as fiberglass is molded over wood which can deteriorate over time. Places to check is in the floors and mostly the transom. It can be very expense to replace transoms and other parts. Thing to ask is was this boat left out in the weather or was it kept in shed. I would surely ask if I can take out on the water and checked out other than just run with water hose fitting in the yard.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Jman5626, chaunc, timd3200, kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We hooked it up to the hose yesterday. And I am planning to meet up with him on Saturday to take a ride on Grayson lake.
    I got in it and walked around. Don稚 recall any weak spots in the floor. There was one place where it looked like someone had hit something with the back of the boot while mooring. But it didn稚 look too bad. It used to be garage kept but since he got his new boat he has kept it under tarp. The boat has been in his family since it was new. Seems like a good deal for $2,800. Just wana make sure I get as much info as I can before making a commitment

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes scrat LIKED above post
    Thanks #1panhandler thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had one just like that years ago. Same color scheme. Had a 120 Evinrude on it. Was a good boat. Stable, rode good. planed quick. Only issue I had was if you came off plane fast a lot of water would wash over the transom. Got wet plenty of times.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of plywood! Check the floor and transom for rotting.

I built boats in the mid 80's using the same materials.

Monk

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I had one just like that years ago. Same color scheme. Had a 120 Evinrude on it. Was a good boat. Stable, rode good. planed quick. Only issue I had was if you came off plane fast a lot of water would wash over the transom. Got wet plenty of times.
    A lot of boats do that. You have to teach yourself to avoid it by slowing down slower or giving it a little gas right before the back wash hits. It becomes a habit once you get use to it. And then sometimes it just can't be avoided.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice would be, DO NOT get in a rush to buy. I know it's difficult to shop for long periods, but don't just jump on the 1st boat that comes along. Took me almost a year to find a pristine condition vintage boat, but the longer I held off the more my budget grew.
    Likes crappiemax, bandchaser, Beavz LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a pocket knife or a tiny hammer and tap around on the transom and you will know a solid sound when you hear it or you also know a soft sound when you hear trust that soft spots in the floor or much easier dealt with in a transom
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Jman5626, timd3200, Truman_Sully LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would take the boat for a ride before I bought it. All the suggestions above are very good. There's a lot of things that could be wrong with a boat that old. Taking the boat for a ride can show a lot of issues not seen running on the water hose. Make sure the lower unit sounds good, shifts properly. Will the boat idle properly, run smooth under a load, steer normally, etc. Did you look under the cowling, look for fuel leaks, do a compression test? May want to pull the lower plug on the lower unit briefly to look for water and clean lube. Need to inspect the trailer for tire condition, bunk supports, running boards and springs. Taking the boat for a test ride would allow you to check the bearings for over heating and give the trailer a better inspection. I would replace the water pump unless the seller can show you a receipt for recent replacement, if you end up buying it. Good luck with the purchase of another boat.
    Thanks Jman5626 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the advice. I plan on taking the boat for a test ride Saturday. I値l let you know the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast