Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Livewell Aeration

Post Thanks / Like

Default Livewell Aeration

Hey guys. I bought a 2009 Crestliner CX17 this winter and I'm still trying to get it all figured out on little things. My live well only has one function that I can tell, fill. I've seen others that have switches that can do two functions, fill and aerate. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to do to improve fish survival in a livewell like this. It will fill, but once it's full what do I do? Several fish will fun out of air quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn the fill on every now and again, it will aerate the water, the excess water should go out the overflow. I had a 16' foot jon with the same one function livewell, I could keep a mess a fish alive for awhile by self cycling. The summer months it's a losing battle in MS with the heat. Or if our serious about it, you could install an aerator with a timer function an all.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a timer on your pump? I installed a timer and a spdt rocker switch. Push switch up and it fills, down and its on a 30sec on 3 min of timer. Never had a crappie die, not even in july with 80 bluegill over 8” and 40 crappie over 10” in it. If i notice them looking sluggish i just run the pump for 4-5min every once n a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I installed one of these years ago and have been very pleased with it.
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/live...hTerm=livewell timer
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another way to do it. Friend of mine has a bass boat with dual live wells, side by side. He put one of these in and he keeps herring alive in the summer when we are striper fishing, They are one of the most difficult to keep alive and I was impressed enough I got one for my boat. I use one line for live well and one for minnow bucket. If not using minnows I put both lines in the live well. It doesn't hurt to also flush the water through the live well as mentioned, but this booger really put the air out.
    http://www.marinemetal.com/products/.../power-bubbles
    Last edited by SeaRay; 03-20-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm gonna try and install a timer for the pump. I've only had the boat for a couple months, and only on the water twice, but I'm pretty sure my accessory button doesnt do anything. It does have power running to it because it lights up when switched on but nothing noteable that i've discovered. I may hook the timer up to that switch. I'm pretty sure my factor livewell switching is a one position switch. Once it warms up a bit I'll start digging into it and let you know what I figure out.

Post Thanks / Like

Go get a marine metals dual bubbler and wire it to a switch and your battery. Works wonders. We don’t mess with the recirculating function often at all. Maybe keep a few frozen bottles of water around if it’s the hot time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It should fill and once it gets full it should go out the over flow. That is circulating water.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by striperking View Post
    It should fill and once it gets full it should go out the over flow. That is circulating water.
    Indeed it is .... BUT, in most cases the pump that fills the livewell is putting water IN faster than the overflow tube can drain it OUT. So, if you're not careful ....some of the "circulating" water will be in the floor of the boat !!
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Indeed it is .... BUT, in most cases the pump that fills the livewell is putting water IN faster than the overflow tube can drain it OUT. So, if you're not careful ....some of the "circulating" water will be in the floor of the boat !!
    Yes, and twice i forgot to turn it off until my buddy in the back yelled,"WE'RE SINKING!! "
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast