Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap fly rod combo or make one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default cheap fly rod combo or make one?

is there any kind of cheap fly rod setup?? evething i have seen has been $90 up.

would it be better to buil one myself out of bamboo?? is it too much work?? ive seen the process and i think i can.

please i need suggestions as i cant pay more that $50 for a fly setup maybe less.
    "like cattle in a field the emotionless children just froze. I must have been a site. 4 day beard no shirt covered in mud with dried blood covered leg. man"

"are you OK you look terrible. I slurred a few syllables at her and she looked aghast and shocked as I ran off down the road. To this day, I dont know what I said to her or who the hell it was. I think I spoke in tongues to her with the action afterwards, who the hell knows"

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=8839

Post Thanks / Like

cabelas has them for 50.00.....

Post Thanks / Like

"like cattle in a field the emotionless children just froze. I must have been a site. 4 day beard no shirt covered in mud with dried blood covered leg. man""are you OK you look terrible. I slurred a few syllables at her and she looked aghast and shocked as I ran off down the road. To this day, I dont know what I said to her or who the hell it was. I think I spoke in tongues to her with the action afterwards, who the hell knows"

UHHH...

I hate to say it but it sounds like you missed a day on your meds.

Post Thanks / Like

okay, okay...I went to the site and know I get it...you gave me a scare there!LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ best fishing story ever

VVVV link in my sig

back to topic any other cheap setups out there?
    "like cattle in a field the emotionless children just froze. I must have been a site. 4 day beard no shirt covered in mud with dried blood covered leg. man"

"are you OK you look terrible. I slurred a few syllables at her and she looked aghast and shocked as I ran off down the road. To this day, I dont know what I said to her or who the hell it was. I think I spoke in tongues to her with the action afterwards, who the hell knows"

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=8839

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pflueger makes a good starter kit.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_175-1-3

Post Thanks / Like

WALMART HAS A GOOD STARTER KIT...and it comes with everything to learn how to do it...even an 8 1/2 foot rod, line, and a couple flies...for a mere $20.
    I think it is a shakespear, but I don't know. Check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

You have very few good options with a $50 limit, so I'd bid on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCIENTIFIC-ANGLE...QQcmdZViewItem

These combos were recently on sale at Wal-mart for $49.95. Scientific Anglers is the only name I trust in your price bracket.

Forget about the bamboo. There's a reason premium bamboo rods sell for $2,000 - $3,000. It's because it takes a lot of skill to build a good one.

If you can't get the Sci Anglers combo, go on some FF boards and see if anybody has a cheap combo they want to sell.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I build fly rods, and other fresh water types. I will tell you what I was told many years ago, spend at least $100 or you will regret it. So I spent $75 for a combo from Bass Pro, the top half snapped over on a forward cast in it's 1st year.

Hate to break the news to ya but $100.00 rod blank alone is cheap, most of my rods cost between $250 and $1000. Cane rod blanks (bamboo) start at $350-$500 with final construction on some being as high as $2500.

If you build your own you might pull it off after doing a few, but you sink hundreds more into tools and chemicals.

My sound advise would be save some dough for a couple of years and go to Orvis for an middle of the road rod/reel for as little as $300.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

My brother got into fly fishing with the above mentioned $19 Shakespere combo from Wal-Mart. Is it perfect? No. Will it break? Probably. BUT does it work? YES. I borrowed a couple different combos before I decided to buy mine. BPS runs their White River combos 20% off from time to time. That's when I got my Indian Point outfit for $59. IMO, it's as good as it gets. But for crappie fishing you don't need all the bells and whistles you might want for trout. Once again IMO, buy any combo you want, get a good tippet (5lb, 7ft = $3), and invest the rest in your jigs. Academy Sports & Outdoors has two different options at $39, both of which look good.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast