HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best kept secret to catching prespawn crappie - by Brad Wiegmann

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best kept secret to catching prespawn crappie - by Brad Wiegmann

Name:  Travis and charlie Bunting Lake Washington win.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  347.9 KB

Why is it the same crappie fisherman always catches a limit of crappie during the prespawn? You know
    the guy always cleaning a bucket full of crappie after they get back to the boat dock. You would love to
    ask him how he is catching them, but pride keeps you from talking to him.

So, what’s the secret to catching prespawn crappie? I asked professional crappie angler Travis Bunting
    his secret to putting crappie in the livewell during this time of year. Travis and his father Charlie Bunting
    had just won the Crappie Masters on Lake Washington, Mississippi, over the weekend and had figured
    out the prespawn crappie bite.

“Crappie are always on the move this time of year. Here today and gone tomorrow so you have to go
    find where they have moved to everyday. Most of the time it’s a short distance from where they were
    the day before, but you still have to move to catch them,” said Travis.

When fishing for crappie during the prespawn, the Buntings start by fishing in stained or muddy water,
    however, they will not fish in muddy water that is silty. They also stay away from areas of the lake where
    the water clarity is clear.

During this time of year the crappie have moved out of their wintertime habitat to structure like shallow
    flats, ditches, drop-off or other structure. The key areas Travis focuses on will have stumps, stake beds,
    brush piles or something that is holding the crappie in that area. Some lakes Travis has his own cover
    that he has put in otherwise he will use his electronics to find these key areas and cover.

Name:  Travis bnm bgjp.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  57.8 KB

Once Travis has found where the crappie are they use a technique called pushing to catch them. A
    normal fishing rig consists of a 16 foot B’n’M Poles (www.bnmpoles.com) BGJP rigged with a B’n’M Poles
    PRO 100 spinning reel spooled with high-vis fishing line and ¼-ounce jig head with a brightly colored 2 ½-
    inch Muddy Water Baits carrot style soft plastic lure. Travis uses Viscous 12 pound main line high-vis and
    ties a knot directly to a leader line of 8 pound test fishing line.

Normally, Travis will fish in water 8- to 6-foot deep using his Humminbird unit to graph the area to
    locate and see how deep the crappie are holding. If he is fishing in 2- to 4-foot of water, Travis will fish
    the area and graph it while fishing looking for where and how deep the crappie are holding.

When pushing the lures while moving forward can produce limits of crappie and big ones too. “I like to
    keep the boat moving at .3 mph or all the way to stopped if possible. If the crappie don’t like the lure
    going slow, I will speed it up until I get the crappie to bite a faster moving lure. Once, I know how fast
    they want the lure moving, I may have to vary the depth of the lure. During this time of year that can be
    from the top to the bottom. I will zone in on the depth after they start biting at a certain depth,” said
    Travis.

Name:  travis lil_pro_wide.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  55.4 KB

One key to the Bunting’s success Travis noted is his rod holders. “The Driftmaster Rod holders
    (www.driftmaster.com) we use are Y-shaped instead of being on a U-shaped. This helps us do a side
    swipe hook set which is perfect for hooking crappie when pushing. Also, we set the boat up with
    individual Driftmaster Rod holders where most anglers use a multiple rod holder trolling rack that will
    shake all the rods when the angler takes out a rod to re-bait a hook or set a hook on a crappie. With a
    single rack, I don’t shake the other rods making it easier to see a strike,” said Travis.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes Redge, dhaire, S10CHEVY, Hat55, Jamesdean, RogerA, Gindog LIKED above post
    Thanks Ttexastom, crappie flash thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

First Keyword is ....Boat ...second keyword is ....everyday ....I ain’t got either right now ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Redge, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read thanks for sharing! More and more tournaments are being won by pushing and its catching on fast!

Post Thanks / Like

Love that technique.
    Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing!!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed it, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a secret anymore! Wish I could force myself to go everyday. It's bad enough to have to go to work. Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Good info, and thanks for posting it! I think I can make this work! I just need to neglect my business and fish more! I would probably enjoy this approach more than my clients, however!
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good read.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great information

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff
    Likes Gindog LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast