Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok U jig tyers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok U jig tyers

What do you think would be a basic cost to get started tying your own jigs?
    You all make it look very interesting.
    I'm not a jig fisherman, although I'll sometimes put on a small jig and say a curly tail. Sometimes I use an 1/8th oz. roadrunner. I am not very successful at using them though.

I'm telling you. My better half is getting awfully tired of that BAIT MONKEY.
    Maybe she wouldn't be so mad about me starting a new hoby if it isn't too expensive.

What types of bodies does a guy start with?

I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about getting started.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

You need a basic vise. You can get a decent one from Cabela's for less than $20. (When you get really good, you can get a Renzetti vise for $600.)

You also need:

Scissors ($20)
    Bobbins ($10-20 each, but you only need one or two to start)

Get the best scissors and bobbins you can afford. They'll last a lifetime.

Materials are pretty cheap. You can start with these:

Head cement
    Thread
    Chenille
    Marabou

Post Thanks / Like

If you go on line or to the store you can get a nice starter kit from them I got one and i am very happy with it. I also bought some things on Ebay at a good price.
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Tahoe, what online store would that be?

I guess I can do a search.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

bass pro shop jig tying kit around $40 and I tied for three years with the vise, bobbin, and scissors before buying another vise. I still use the old one today, after tying a few thousand jigs with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with a BPS kit. It still works. Academy has a good starter kit for $39.99 also. Jump in it's fun. Bring your stuff to Crappie Camp and we will be doing a mini seminar on jig tying.
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Just be careful as you can get in deep with cost if you are not careful. I think more people give it up than keep tying, but I have no way of showing that.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the BPS kit also and am pleased, but I have to agree with Skip on this. If I were you, I'd buy some jigs first and either get to where you are comfortable with them or realize you don't like them. That way you won't end up with something that will be stuck in the corner that ended up costing you around $100. (Heads, hooks-if you decide to mold them, paint, all the threads and chenille, and other things you'll decide you might need.) It can run up real fast.
    Or find someone around you that ties and go watch them and ask them a bunch of questions before you take the jig tying step. Some places hair works best, others marabou works best, and some will do good with synthethics. You need to zero in on your kind of fishing and what works in your area.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mo'nBack
    I use the BPS kit also and am pleased, but I have to agree with Skip on this. If I were you, I'd buy some jigs first and either get to where you are comfortable with them or realize you don't like them. That way you won't end up with something that will be stuck in the corner that ended up costing you around $100. (Heads, hooks-if you decide to mold them, paint, all the threads and chenille, and other things you'll decide you might need.) It can run up real fast.
    Or find someone around you that ties and go watch them and ask them a bunch of questions before you take the jig tying step. Some places hair works best, others marabou works best, and some will do good with synthethics. You need to zero in on your kind of fishing and what works in your area.
    He's right and not everyone is like me (I get carried away some time). I put $4k in materials and tools last year so I still have a long way before I break even. Now I have most any color chenille, feathers both hackle and marabou, and hair of several kinds so I can accommodate most any request my customer wants.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

As has been said, buy a few first to see if you like it. I go in a different direction. I don't tie my jigs anymore, I Pour my own heads and use plastics as the final touch. Curley tails and tubes are what I now use. the Jig mold should cost around $25.00 to $30.00. Hooks cost $6.00 per hundred, the tails cost 5-6 cents each when purchased in quantities. I did at one time tie my jigs but seem to catch more with the plastics. Each to their own.
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast