Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I make hand-tied jigs more sturdy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I make hand-tied jigs more sturdy?

I know a bunch of you guys tie your own jigs. I started about a month ago, and I really enjoy it. I'm satisfied with the visual outcome so far, but they're coming undone after 1-2 fish. The hair jigs that is. My feather jigs last a little longer, but I like tying/using the hair jigs more than feather. My only thought is heavier thread, 'cause sometimes when I'm trying to get a good tight wrap I break the thread. Other than that, I don't have a clue. Any suggestions?
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re

Sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

drop of glue where you tie of on the jig and being sure to have a good base of thread wrapped on the hook before adding any matierials.

Post Thanks / Like

If the jigs are coming undone after 1 or 2 fish, you're doing something wrong. I've never had a jig come undone. NEVER.

How are you tying off the jigs? Half hitches? Whip finish? The whip finish is more secure, but half hitches are fine, too.

Dirk gave some good advice, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a whip finish, topped w/cement. The last one that I had a problem with looked like the thread broke between the wraps on the hook and the first wrap on the hair. So all the hair slid down (still somewhat bound together) to the bend in the hook. I didn't know if I could slide it back up and put a few wraps on it, or not. So I just took it apart and started over.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe your thread is too light. What size are you using? 6/0?

Here's a video of Bob Clouser tying his famous Clouser Minnow. It's basically a light hair jig. Compare your tying technique to the master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CnBgL0sAMk

And here's part 2 of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kKoF...elated&search=

Post Thanks / Like

i use danville flat waxed tyin thread from cabelas and its hard to break while tyin. like the man said, make sure ya have a good thread base before puttin on hair. and put pressure on ya bobin while wrappin, as much as the thread will take. like deathb4disco i've never had this problem, ya may need an old hand to watch an tell ya what ya doin wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I always dip my heads in powder paint before I tie them. After I've finished tying I use a clear finish over the whole head and thread. It works for me. I've never lost one due to coming undone and it gives a nice sheen to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ
    I always dip my heads in powder paint before I tie them. After I've finished tying I use a clear finish over the whole head and thread. It works for me. I've never lost one due to coming undone and it gives a nice sheen to them.
    super clue,super glue:D

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

3 half hitches and head cement. I've never had a fly or jig blow apart, some of mine are 10 years old now.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast