HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fas Snaps, what size??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fas Snaps, what size??

Would like to give these Fas Snaps a try, what brand and what size would you suggest for 1/16th and 1/32nd jig heads.

Thanks
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    Would like to give these Fas Snaps a try, what brand and what size would you suggest for 1/16th and 1/32nd jig heads.

Thanks
    Ive made up some rigs for trolling where i use a large size on about a 3" loop about a foot up from where the casting sinker is.
    Sorta like a drop shot rig, but when i ran out of them i used a small coast lock snap which seems to work just as well on the fish and is far less costly.
    Ive not tried them for just tying on a single jig and have been using a small loop for that also.
    But I'm going to try it due to the easy ability to change the jig. Figure on using needle nose pliers to get hooks or jigs off easier.
    The Bass Pro in Palm Bay has them in the fly fishing section for about 12 bucks for about 20 of them, which is about 3 times more than the coast locks. But they are much smaller and would be what id try first for a single jig.
    But id recommend picking up a pack of the smallest coast locks they have also, or you could just cut the swivel off of a very small snap swivel.
    Thanks pescador thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just read some info on them. Go to this article http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...rolling-4.html I believe it's on page 4 but read what Bigrivermarine has to say. That entire thread starting at the beginning has some great info.
    It is what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been advocating the use of "snap hooks" for years. I use the Mustad version of these hooks, available from jannsnetcraft.com. Theses spring steel snaps come in 3 sizes. I find that the size #2 works best for 1/32 - 1/16 oz. jig heads. I've used this same size on the 1/8 oz. heads as well, with no problems. The smallest size #1 will float a dry fly. Good quality....dependable.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abu65 View Post
    Just read some info on them. Go to this article http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...rolling-4.html I believe it's on page 4 but read what Bigrivermarine has to say. That entire thread starting at the beginning has some great info.
    Just read that article, very interesting and i found out that I'm fishing Kentucky style. lol
    Anyway i am using the large size Fas-Snap, which isn't actually very large.
    As for the rigs i tie, i just use a small loop knot on both ends with no hardware, and either a Fas-Snap or a coast lock on the lure loop.
    I store them on sections of a foam pool noodle cut down the middle and the edges notched for winding the rigs on.
    Be aware the snaps can cause havoc if left dangle, so secure them as you wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your replies, very much appreciated.

Regards
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Large, and buy only stainless steel ones .
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mustad Fastach

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post

Thanks
    I use Mustad Fastach clip: size 0 for 1/32 oz jigs

Post Thanks / Like

May get me some but for non crappie species mostly.
    Likes pescador LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used those fas snaps also. They make for being able to quickly change out colors and sizes of crappie fishing jigs. Can't remember the size I have used but they are very small but tough and hold really well.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast