Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Transom question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transom question...

You all have been so helpful in the past, and so I ask you a question that might prove very simple to some of you.
    I don't have a super-nice boat like most of you all do. I have an old aluminum semi-V that runs very nice, and I have it set-up exactly how I like it. However, I want to reinforce the transom on it. I know I can, and that isn't the problem. Is there anything that I should put between the wood and the metal in order to help it adhere to the boat better. My transom just flexes a little when I open my motor up on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I use marine grade epoxy when I do one.
    That's what boat repair men use.
    When you say "reinforce" does that mean replacing the wood or going over trhe top of the old?
    If your replacing the transome board then why use anything other then a regular wood sealer?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to take the wood off BOTH SIDES...the inside of the transom and the outside. I am wanting to cover the entire back wall of my boat on the inside so that there can be absolutely NO FLEXING at all. I will then cut the usual "square" that goes on the outside of the transom that the motor mounts to. All of it is going to be replaced completely...if possible. Anything to watch out for? And, keep the suggestions coming...you all are great!

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/3M+5200+Sealant.html

this is hands down the best adhesive/sealant on the market...its really pricey but it works great.