Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just how many rod tips do I have to break this year...

Post Thanks / Like

Default just how many rod tips do I have to break this year...

So far, 5 and counting. The fifth went down this past weekend on our camping trip. The worst part is, only one of them broke while actually fishing. The most hazardous times for my poles is going to and from the water. Two of them got it at one time during a truck door slamming incident. This indident was blamed on my daughter, but that can't be right...can't be. Had to be one of the boys.
    Speaking of the kids, I see a direct correlation between the number of rods broken every year, and them getting older and coming with me more. This is getting harder and harder to dismiss as coincidence.
    But, I take full responsibility, as I have been known in the past to buy whatever rod/reel combo that I liked, but was on sale or cheap. Why spend the bucks when it is just gonna get broken anyway. I have seen the error in my ways, and after doing searches on here for the past hour or so, I am off to gander mountain, with a quick stop at wm to buy my first ugly stik. I figure biting the bullet and picking up a handful now will pay for itself in a few years time if they are as tough as advertised. I only wish I had done it while my crew was still in diapers.
    Polar Kraft 1571 DB
    Mercury 25 hp 4-Stroke

Post Thanks / Like

My Grandaughters usually throw them in the water. Anybody fishes Hardy lake in Indiana there are a couple of nice Pflueger reels with ugly stik rods. I tried for 2 hours and never could hook up to them.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Been There

I have to laugh at this I had just bought a brand new surf rod a few weeks ago.Took my daughter out to the point to fish at the banks. Went to get the rods out of the back of the truck and the new one was stuck.After futher investigation come to find out the tailgate was shut on it hmmmm I tried to blame it on her but she is to small to shut the tailgate .I said hmm your mom musta done it:rolleyes:. Hey couldnt have been me could it....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sosowingshooter
    So far, 5 and counting. The fifth went down this past weekend on our camping trip. The worst part is, only one of them broke while actually fishing. The most hazardous times for my poles is going to and from the water. Two of them got it at one time during a truck door slamming incident. This indident was blamed on my daughter, but that can't be right...can't be. Had to be one of the boys.
    Speaking of the kids, I see a direct correlation between the number of rods broken every year, and them getting older and coming with me more. This is getting harder and harder to dismiss as coincidence.
    But, I take full responsibility, as I have been known in the past to buy whatever rod/reel combo that I liked, but was on sale or cheap. Why spend the bucks when it is just gonna get broken anyway. I have seen the error in my ways, and after doing searches on here for the past hour or so, I am off to gander mountain, with a quick stop at wm to buy my first ugly stik. I figure biting the bullet and picking up a handful now will pay for itself in a few years time if they are as tough as advertised. I only wish I had done it while my crew was still in diapers.
    You are done breaking rod tips when you buy Ugly stiks.I have slammed mine in the car door once before and the eye bent right back into place and I still use it today.I got quite a few 11' 6" crappie rods that got "converted" from 12"ers (tip broken off).But none of them say ugly stik on the side.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Mr. Perry the first time my oldest grandaughter used a spinning rod we told her to hold on to the button and release it when she cast. She did and released the whole pole. It sailed out into the lake real nice. We did recover it by hooking on to the floater I had put on it.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 4 of my 12' rods laying in the boat one day. I opened one of the dry boxes in the back without thinking and broke the tips on all of them. I was happy with myself. I ain't got any kids to blame my broken stuff on.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

I just broke my St Croix 6' UL on the very first hook up last month. I went back to the Ugly Sticks. I got 8 of em and I'm gettn more. The only brand of rod I havn't broke yet. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really want to talk about this as the karma god's are surely watching.

But I went through a stretch where on every outing I was breaking a rod. Not just the tips either...like in half. It lasted a whole season and I must have gone through 15 rods.

That was a while back though. I'm probably due again some time soon.
    <--Click for Website

Post Thanks / Like

I broke a 12 ft BnM rod a couple weeks ago. I bought the rod several months ago, but this was my first time to use it. First fish on broke it in half, right in the middle. I didn't have the recipt, so it's a good thing I bought it at Wal-Mart! They replaced it no questions asked.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my theory of breaking rod tips. Buy expensive rods because then you worry about them enough to be careful. I've been using some of the same rods for 7-8 yrs. I can't remember the last tip I broke. I have some fenwicks from about 10 yrs ago, and all the rest are St.Croixs. I have one Gander mountain rod, and a silstar noodle rod I got for next to nothing somewhere. Once I find a good company with a good warranty I pretty much stick with them. I'm very fond St.Croix rods and plan to get more, but I must admit to looking at a few other brands recently I'd like to try out. No more fenwicks though. Horrible company.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-20-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast