Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono vs braid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mono vs braid

Anyone use braid for tight lining? Talked with an old crappie guide the other day and he said that he used 20lb braid bc it was faster to straighten the hook vs retying. I brought some to try but it not sure about it. All my other rods have 6lb mono and this is supposed to be the same size diameter wise.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10# but it does wrap the tip of the pole easy but worth the effort.
    Likes SlabSeeker0485 LIKED above post

Quailtail is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one more Crappie University class to attend but so far I have heard 3 pros tell us what they use and all 3 are different, fish different, different set ups, different size hooks and jigs. Different rods, different line. One says fish smell, one doesn't, one uses big jigs others don't. Braided line for some, mono for others, flororcarbon for leaders. Braid for main line. Fish see line, fish don't see line.

Common sense tells me if you are fishing a lot of structure like I do, you need a heavy weight main line due to the hang ups. Minnow fishing, using a light wire hook will save you time in re-rigging poles as the hook will bend. Same with jigs, if they are light wire they will bend. That concept is fine if you go with the pro that says fish can't see line and you need to keep your hook in the water to catch fish.

So now I have no clue what to do. I am confused. I am bewildered. I am washing my hands, I am using scent, I am using heavy line, using light line, using swivels.

Where's the bourbon, I need a drink.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quailtail View Post
    I have one more Crappie University class to attend but so far I have heard 3 pros tell us what they use and all 3 are different ...
    Only three? CDC currently has 44,807 members, which means that there are at least 44,807 best rods/reels/lines/baits/methods to catch crappie.
    Likes Redge, INTIMIDATOR, Pop N Cork, mando LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of my tight line experience is in deep cold water in the dead of winter.8' BGJP old style, which is a little stiffer tip than the new ones, Baitcast reel and Power pro 10/2 line direct to a 1/4oz brush guard jig head with sickle hooks and the guard trimmed a little close to the tip of the hook. Drop it right down among the tree branches and seldom got hung up on the tree, but did get hung in the myriad if broken lines already on the tree. If I used a leader and got hung, the leader was what broke when trying to get it pulled free. Worked for me ans the guy who taught me and a few others I've told of it along the way. Lots of large fish fell to it. I will say I was fishing over 30' deep and shallower or clearer water might cause me to change something.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid if i'm fishing 7ft or less. I use 10/2 braid most of the time and I can usually straighten the hook if I get hung up. The deeper you fish the more braid shines.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mono vs braid

I’ve never used braid so what’s with the 10/2? Do y’all use a hi viz or normal?
    Last edited by SlabSeeker0485; 02-25-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

10# test, 2# diameter

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

That’s what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Line type, weight, and color are the three main elements to consider for your fishing technique, location, and visibility.
    Braid has its place, mono has its place. Can you use mono where others would use braid, absolutely! and vice versa.

Take slip bobber fishing for example- mono for line stretch. 4 pound for open water, 6 pound for cover. I use low vis green because I fish green stained water. With 4 pound I let the bait decide the hook type. With 6 pound I'm typically fishing brush/trees and use lite wire hooks. easier to straighten a hook then retie.

Spider rigging- I like braid, the line is thinner and thus less drag, which means less weight to hold the jig vertical and I can go faster. Plus if I get hung up, I can pull the hook straight. Mono has more drag and needs more weight to keep the hook down. Less sensitive to the bite, especially a light bite.

Go back and reread your notes on fishing technique, water color, and lure type. You may be able to see a pattern when you start to break it down by those categories.
    We still have two classes to go. So far they have been pretty decent. Picked up some good tips from both of them so far. Couple of the tips I'm going to try out next weekend.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast