Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catalpa Worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catalpa Worms

Anyone out there have access to these little buggars? I grew up in East Central Alabama and remember going into the back yard and picking as many as I needed from a couple of trees. I would like to find a source on here to have some shipped to me a couple of times this summer. I will pay for them of course. I live in Central Missouri now and cannot find any worms. There are plenty of trees...just no worms.

Thank you.

Bob

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a neighbor who used them religiously. However I think it wasnt until late May or June when we would get them. We would freeze them then thaw them and bait the trot lines. He said some years they wouldnt get worms on the trees because Theres a moth called a sphinx moth that is responsible for the larvae that make the worm(caterpillar). He used to keep the ground moist and put a light on the tree at night and always had worms and lots of them. I guess in theory it makes sense. Im almost positive its still way too early for the worms. Im pretty sure thay dont emerge untill late may at least. You can buy them on the web just type in catalpa worms. Untill then put a flood light on the tree and see what happens it worked for him. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

That catalpa worm is a premium bait deluxe for catfish and redbreast. Turn him inside out with a match stick for cats. I'm convinced about one thing, that this word is the most mispronounced word in all of fishing, not that it really matters. People call them Targer worms, Catawba worms, and Catarber worms. It is pronounced Cuh-tal-puh. I have asked everyone I know that fishes where I live and no one has ever pronounced it right. I guess we all pronounce it the way we have heard it growing up. Jeff Foxworthy material for sure. That light on the tree at night comment was very interesting, also keeping the ground harrowed up under the tree helps as well. They pupae back into the ground and this makes it a more appealing environment for them. I never see them on my dad's tree until June here in Georgia, however some other people in our county has them alot earlier on their trees. The enemies of the catalpa worm is Mr. Raincrow and Mr. Wasp they will put a hurt on a crop of catalpa worms in a hurry.
    Last edited by Countrytime; 03-20-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wont see them around here until end of June, 1st of July. They are good catfish bait. Never tried using them for crappie.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

If you find some and want to stock up. Put them in zip lock bags with a little corn meal and freeze them.The corn meal keeps them from sticking together...KP

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have plenty of them in August. I'm in NC and I mailed some to somebody in Ohio last year and they were still alive. Just send me your address and sometime in late August, early September when they cover up the leaves here, I'll try to send some.

Post Thanks / Like

My father-in-law in Mississippi has several of these trees in his backyard and I had him save me a few seed pods so i can grow them here in Alabama. I think the moths are only native to the south east and possible the southern eastcoast. Serves ya right for moving out of the great state of Alabama
    Forbidden fruits make for some real jams.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Turkeyfoot, I'll do just that.

Hey Moonshine. Alabama wants me, but Lord I can't go back there.

WAR EAGLE!!!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.