Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock shooting for Bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock shooting for Bass.

Hello: My buddy that is a bass fisherman asked me about dock shooting for bass. He wanted to know what rod to use . I told him I didn't know but would try to find an answer. Do you guys use the same rod for bass and crappie ? Thank You . O- R

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would start with a 6' medium action, but it would be a starting point. What he is pitching and how heavy will change that some.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Based simply on the potential size difference of the fish ... no, I would not use the same rod. Now, could a 7' spinning rod in med heavy be used to "shoot" a 1/4oz jig & plastic trailer under a dock in much the same way a 6-7' spinning rod in Lite to Med Lite could be used to "shoot" a 1/16oz jig/plastics under a dock ... probably, but I'm doubting it would get back under the dock as far using the same technique.

Side arm casts that skip the larger Bass lures under the dock, and even some "pitching" techniques, are used way more often than the "dock shooting" technique that we Crappie anglers employ. Using those particular Bass fishing techniques, I'm inclined to agree with Skeetbum.