Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about sidescan for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about sidescan for crappie

I'm thinking about getting a Humminbird Helix 5 or 7. Before I spend the money though, I want to know if those smaller screens will show fish in good detail around brush piles with the sidescan. Any ideas are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about sidescan for crappie

I have a 7 si it is pretty clear but I wish I would have gotten the 9 do yourself a favor buy the biggest screen you can afford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes "G", broharrell, slackline, callmecamo LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coolemoff1 View Post
    I have a 7 si it is pretty clear but I wish I would have gotten the 9 do yourself a favor buy the biggest screen you can afford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2! I haven’t heard anyone say, I wish I bought a smaller one.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes "G", cmwest11 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest screen you can get will be the best. With that being said I've used a 5si for the last few years and it's done it's job. But I don't need cheaters yet either.

Sent from my Z983 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Bigger is better... that is for sure. But don't rely too much on seeing crappie in brush piles with side scan. Use the side scan to FIND the brush piles when searching... mark them... then go over them with down imaging to really "see" if they are holding fish. Generally speaking... if you don't see fish hanging around the brush... move on to another one. Exception to that is if it is a day they are really holding deep in the brush. Sometimes the brush can make those embedded ones tuff to spot. But this technology can really keep you from fishing dead water if you trust it, and take the time to get good at noticing the details.

In my opinion, if you can find one still... the best bang for the buck Helix unit right now would be a Helix 10 gen 1. They are on closeout, (if any left), they come with the upgraded HD transducer, they are the exact same size physically as the Helix 9... picture fills the whole screen. The screen resolution is better on the 10 and details will be a lot easier to see than on the smaller screens.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like the tv at home bigger is better
    Likes "G", broharrell, Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Helix 9 and wish I would have got a 10. The screen is never big enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Garmin graphs and have been very pleased. as stated earlier you will use side scan to locate the brush pile and down scan to locate fish on it. for the price you can get a 9" Garmin graph at Bass Pro for 600 on the spring fling add.
    Likes skunked again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they show them. As stated, get as big as you can afford, or two smaller units networked together.
    Use one for mapping, other for sonar, share the sonar.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a Humminbird Helix 5 or 7. Before I spend the money though, I want to know if those smaller screens will show fish in good detail around brush piles with the sidescan. Any ideas are appreciated.
    i just bought a 9 which upgraded me from an older 5in. the difference is night and day. i looked hard at a 7 but when your talking about that kind of money whats 300 dollars for the next size up. i would go with the 9. its not that its going to be any clearer but its just easier to read. the map screen is so much easier to read when your running on plane. all you have to do is glance over at it to make sure your on course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast