HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Rule or Hawg Trough

Post Thanks / Like

Default Golden Rule or Hawg Trough

Looking at the golden rule or hawg trough to attach to the underside of my live well door. Anyone used both, and have a preference?
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

A very smart guide, Felay, once told me "use what the game wardens use' I use the golden rule.
    Thanks EWS thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer the Hawg Trough. For those who use it...and even those who have never seen one.....you can get a good idea of the girth of the fish. I have owned both but have long since gave the Golden Rule away. A big plus for me is the Hawg Trough is the numbers show up much more distinct in a pic than the Golden Rule.

Regards

Name:  IMG_0049.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  161.8 KB

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason could only post one image in my reply. Here is fish on Golden Rule.

RegardsName:  IMG_0808.jpeg
Views: 752
Size:  170.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both. Although the hawg trough is a great unit, there is a down side to it. The numbers and lines lose their paint!

To combat this, we repaint our lines and our numbers with Sharpies but, once a year we have to redo this. Keep in mind that while tournament fishing, we are using these things all the time. Constantly wiping them off, dunking them in the water, cleaning them, and so on. At the end of the year we still have to give them a good cleaning to get any scales, slime, and other residue off. This might contribute to the paint coming off them.

The golden rule doesn't seem to have any of the above problems. Unfortunately, it also doesn't act like the hawg trough either. If I were building a new one, it would be built like the Golden rule but cupped like the hawg trough.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

All the game wardens in our area use the golden rule to check fish so that is what I use. That way there is no guess work!
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I've used both. Although the hawg trough is a great unit, there is a down side to it. The numbers and lines lose their paint!

To combat this, we repaint our lines and our numbers with Sharpies but, once a year we have to redo this. Keep in mind that while tournament fishing, we are using these things all the time. Constantly wiping them off, dunking them in the water, cleaning them, and so on. At the end of the year we still have to give them a good cleaning to get any scales, slime, and other residue off. This might contribute to the paint coming off them.

The golden rule doesn't seem to have any of the above problems. Unfortunately, it also doesn't act like the hawg trough either. If I were building a new one, it would be built like the Golden rule but cupped like the hawg trough.
    Yeah I failed to mention about the numbers fading. I have redone mine with the Sharpie several times. I have had that one for about 7 years...I used to kayak fish and that was the gold standard for sizing fish. One good point I did not mention is if you insert foam in the back channels of the Hawg Trough it will float if accidentally dropped over board....a common happening when kayak fishing.

Regards

Likes wicklundrh, Straycat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wally World has the Golden Rule for $7 with free store pickup. Just ordered one. Only 4 left or so the state.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Yeah I failed to mention about the numbers fading. I have redone mine with the Sharpie several times. I have had that one for about 7 years...I used to kayak fish and that was the gold standard for sizing fish. One good point I did not mention is if you insert foam in the back channels of the Hawg Trough it will float if accidentally dropped over board....a common happening when kayak fishing.

Regards

Nice Idea!

I've seen a lot of guys with simple "Stick on" rulers on the inside of livewells. Obviously, you are not using these for a hero shot, but, sizing it up before you flip her in the livewell is usually what you are looking for. In the event you have one that is close, you can then use your other ruler for a closer look. In years past, we purchased a wooden yard stick (they actually used to give them away at the local hardware). We would cut it down to the size we wanted, use double sided stick tape, and put it where we wanted it. They are flat, stay out of the way, and can be put about anyplace. Some tiny screws could affix it to the top of the deck lid.

Another thing I have done. In my back scupper section on my boat (aluminimun), I measured out from the sidewall 15 1/8 inches and put a black sharpie mark. I can quickly take a walleye (must be 15 inches minimum), put its mouth on the sidewall, and look at the black line. If it is over, it is good. If it is under, we take a closer look. Usually throw it overboard. The scupper thing is great because it canstantly gets backwash so it is always clean! Just a quick way to check it and get back to fishing
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I riveted mine to the seat of my jon boat so no worries on losing it. Always right there!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	290868

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast