Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poppers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poppers?

I don't see any info or post about crappie fishing with poppers,have I missed something? I'm thinking a popper rigged to slowly sink,pitched near stumps would be killer.
    As a kid,many bluegill met the fry pan due to poppers,mostly fished on the surface,but this year I'm gonna sink some poppers around the wood for crappie,I have a good hunch I will need to fire up the skillet.
    Thanks burns thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We use them quit a bit around Lilly pads. Both with a clear casting bobber to get the offering close with a spinning rod, and with a fly rod. I've never used them to sink, but I don't see why they wouldn't work.

I used to do some trading with an ole boy that ran a baitshop out of his house. Actually out of an old train car at his house. He used to make some "ants". They had floating foam bodies, rubber band legs, and he used copper wire to tie the body on. This wire allowed for just the right amount of sink. Man were those baits dynamite. He never sold any at the shop. One of those "my little secret" type of deals. Cast them with a clear casting bobber about 5 feet above the ant. It sank really slowly and the crappies and gills loved them!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that surface lures would be a low percentage bait for crappie. I say this because our waters contain quite a few bluegill mixed in with the crappie population. And gills would definitely get to the top waters before any crappie would have a hankerin' to do that! Just what I've experienced.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I believe that surface lures would be a low percentage bait for crappie. I say this because our waters contain quite a few bluegill mixed in with the crappie population. And gills would definitely get to the top waters before any crappie would have a hankerin' to do that! Just what I've experienced.
    It would still be fun

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished a local pond that has some big crappie in it, and some big hybrid bluegills too.

A Rebel floating grasshopper is deadly for big gills and bass in the summer. Never have caught a crappie on them, but they don't sink.

Post Thanks / Like

Just another option in my opinion.I like fishing jigs by flipping past trees and such,then letting them swing slowly by them.I don't mind picking up some nice gills,but in my feeble mind,this should work well on crappie.One thing for certain,I'm gonna give a good go at it soon ,can't hurt having another option on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to flyrod fish poppers a lot years ago.I can't remember catching one on them. I would think if you use a minnow pattern fly it would work . I am sure there are some patterns that would work you would just have to find one. The foam spiders and small poppers...man if I caught a crappie on one it wasn't very many. Probably been near 40 year since I flyrod fished much...was a lot of crappie where I fished though..and in general the fish stayed shallower then and some of the waters were real shallow anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I'm seeing,most folks fish poppers top water,I'm interested in getting them down to the crappie.Ive caught a ton of fish on poppers top water,so I'm making up some right now to put in front of the crappie when they are deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    From what I'm seeing,most folks fish poppers top water,I'm interested in getting them down to the crappie.Ive caught a ton of fish on poppers top water,so I'm making up some right now to put in front of the crappie when they are deeper.
    Why not just fish a light jig?

A 1/64 oz trout magnet is killer in shallow water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Why not just fish a light jig?

A 1/64 oz trout magnet is killer in shallow water.
    . I do fish light jigs,and have been very successful,even a caveman can catch them on jigs.....All kidding aside,I'm delving into the world of popper building,I'm figuring poppers to be better at catching crappie than folks might think,just gotta fish them different.......I hope !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast