Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tandem Rigs for Plastics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tandem Rigs for Plastics

Just wondering if others making/using tandem rigs prefer using 3-way swivels or only use mono/jigheads with a loop.

I’ve made tandem “speck rigs” for years by tying two same-sized jigs on each end of a 30-45” piece of mono. I then make one short, the other long, and then I tie a loop. They do a good job of not tangling.

I know others use tandem rigs as well, but do you make them like I described or do you use a 3-way swivel?

Post Thanks / Like

I do as you do. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

From ice out until late spring, I often use a tandem set up if I'm fishing with one rod. And this is usually under a bobber. I do not tie my jigs directly to the line. Instead, I tie on two "snap hooks" (jannsnetcraft.com); one on the bottom and one about 2' up. This allows me two advantages....

First is the ease of changing out jigs (color, style). In the early season, crappie can be fussy and I dislike tying knots when I'd much prefer to be fishing. Second, these small (a size #2, which I use most often, will float a dry fly!) spring hooks allow the jigs a great deal of mobility in the presentation. I'm a firm believer that is beneficial.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I just use a loop knot 6 to 8'' drop
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

Have used 3-way swivels but I typically just use a loop knot 12-18" above bottom jig. Good fishing.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Loop knot

Post Thanks / Like

The problem I see with a loop knot is this....it allows freedom of movement of the jig's eye within the loop. And you gotta believe that metal sliding around loosely on a mono or fluoro loop just might lead to enough abrasion to cause a pre-mature failure. I don't mind loosing a jig or two, but would prefer it not to be in a bad place inside the crappie's mouth. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use loop knots as well they allow the jig to swim horizontally and easy to deal with. The 3 way swivel set up like the Caps & Coleman get tangled up to much for me.
    FISHING, no better way to spend the day!

Post Thanks / Like

I watched PR fishing channel on YouTube and he uses a tandem rig almost all the time to his success. He also has a video showing how he ties the two knots. Being a novice it seemed a bit too complex for me so I will keep looking. I will also try some of these suggestions. Thanks everyone for sharing. It sure helps.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app