HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Crappie Rods question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southern Crappie Rods question

Looking at getting some spider rigging rods. Usually I'll troll a couple 1/8 oz jigs with 1/2 - 1 oz weight depending on wind/current. I also pull cranks in the late spring through the summer. I've used B n M's but have broken tips landing fish. I've read many post that said Southern Crappie Rods are the best.

I only want bait casting type rods.

Does Southern make such a rod to use for both methods?

I've tried to get on their online website but it won't load. Are they still in business?

also, open to suggestions.
    Last edited by CHECrappie; 02-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 of the 16'ers I troll with. Usually use 1/2-1oz minnow rigs. I have used them to pull cranks with and they did fine. It's crazy just how tough these rods are, I've had the set over 2 years and have broke one tip because I stepped on it.

SCR does have a heavier action rod that can handle up to 2-3oz for pushing crankbaits too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Folky LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All the Southern Crappie rods shown on the website have the long handles and fixed reel seats that are normally associated with "spinning" reel use .... and all the pictures showing them "in use" have them with spinning reels attached. That, however, does not necessarily mean that a baitcast reel cannot or should not be used.

But, if you are looking for a rod with the traditional "baitcast rod" style handle .... then, no, I don't believe he has such.

If you can't get the website to load ... his email address is : [email protected] .... and his ph# is : 704-791-0108 (but he requests that you do not leave phone message, but call back if no answer or send an email) His business hours are 9-9 Mon-Sat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    All the Southern Crappie rods shown on the website have the long handles and fixed reel seats that are normally associated with "spinning" reel use .... and all the pictures showing them "in use" have them with spinning reels attached. That, however, does not necessarily mean that a baitcast reel cannot or should not be used.

But, if you are looking for a rod with the traditional "baitcast rod" style handle .... then, no, I don't believe he has such.

If you can't get the website to load ... his email address is : [email protected] .... and his ph# is : 704-791-0108 (but he requests that you do not leave phone message, but call back if no answer or send an email) His business hours are 9-9 Mon-Sat.
    Thanks Pappy. I emailed him. I fish in the wind in Oklahoma and the spin cast guides just make it hard to detect a light bite. I really want small rod guides. I double dip with Huckabee Pro Series that has micro guides and it is amazing the difference when the wind isn't blowing the line around in the big open guides like come on spin cast rods.
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The southern crappie have small line guides. He also has a specific set with the backbone for pulling cranks and using heavier weights.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish 12 and 14 ft southern's. 1/8 pony head on bottom and gnat on top with 1/2 to 1 oz weights. Use nothing but bait casters and guides are perfect size. I have bent my poles completely under my boat when hanging up and not hurt them. I even took one of mine at a camp in the parking lot. To show people how tough they were I put it in rod holder and grabbed line, bent pole in a complete U without hurting it. Very sensitive and tough as nails. Ed Dukes is a great guy to do business with. Long handles are for getting reel in front of rod holder.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post

He has a video you can link ti where he talks about using bait casting reels.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed's short rods have spinning rod guides on them. He makes rods from 6' to 16'. The rods up to 10 ' have cork handles. The 12-16 footers have small guides that can be used with spinning and baitcasting reels. I've pulled crankbaits about a million miles with the SCRs and the SCRTs. T is the series rated for weights of 2 oz or larger. They are tough as nails--made of kevlar and priced where they can compete with any top quality rod on the market.

Ed is one of the nicest guys in the fishing industry.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Tom 513, "D", skeetbum, crp4570, footballcoach LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the regular 14 footers with baitcaster to spider rig. I’m happy with them. I usually run 1 oz double minnow rig and have tripped over a few brush piles and haven’t broken any yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I run two 9 footers.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast